Short body red tail catfish

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I see and agree with Moe. Kind of understandable when the same length is taken as a benchmark.

Quantitatively speaking, the SB head is not 100% larger, maybe 25% or some such, which indeed is a big, quite notable difference.

Yet, one has to also note we are using a platinum RTC as a reference... and keep in mind that color morphs carry genetic hiccups not only in their appearance traits but other things too, including muscular-skeletal imperfections. (Perhaps hair splitting, IDK enough about platinum RTC either.)

Mutation is a nasty thing, as any deviation from natural is.

Another thing is some fish shoot up in length quick and then slow down to get bulk. Others develop more or less keeping the same body shape. Kind of like teenagers.

Reactions: Rghfor

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I see and agree with Moe. Kind of understandable when the same length is taken as a benchmark.

Quantitatively speaking, the SB head is not 100% larger, maybe 25% or some such, which indeed is a big, quite notable difference.

Yet, one has to also note we are using a platinum RTC as a reference... and keep in mind that color morphs carry genetic hiccups not only in their appearance traits but other things too, including muscular-skeletal imperfections. (Perhaps hair splitting, IDK enough about platinum RTC either.)

Mutation is a nasty thing, as any deviation from natural is.

Another thing is some fish shoot up in length quick and then slow down to get bulk. Others develop more or less keeping the same body shape. Kind of like teenagers.
Agree with all said points.

Marcus_H

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Germany
Hmm i don't get how the ARTC got mixed up in this conversation, since this is an entirely different species. AFAIK Artc gen gete even bigger than any RTC, but grow much slower.

Anyway, as ridicoulusly cute those SBRTC are, if they are growing that fast they are not for me . (300gal tanks)

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Hmm i don't get how the ARTC got mixed up in this conversation, since this is an entirely different species. AFAIK Artc gen gete even bigger than any RTC, but grow much slower.

Anyway, as ridicoulusly cute those SBRTC are, if they are growing that fast they are not for me . (300gal tanks)
Not to derail any further, but I don't think they get as heavy but they get longer, and they're said to grow slower do to getting farm bred ones, the one I had was no slow grower.

Marcus_H

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Germany
Well at fishing records there is a Hemibagrus Wykloides listed with over 80kg (and this is one of the confirmed records with a pic, not one of those fairytales from the 1800s) which is quite a bit more than the RTC record of 50kg.

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Well at fishing records there is a Hemibagrus Wykloides listed with over 80kg (and this is one of the confirmed records with a pic, not one of those fairytales from the 1800s) which is quite a bit more than the RTC record of 50kg.
Oh so then you just educated me lol rtc were always more heavily bodied to me, thought it might balance out, thank you for that info

reefman

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
In front of my tanks
To each its own. I'd much prefer they didn't exist altogether.

What info are you looking for? Biology, care, etc.? I've seen very few of them on MFK and cannot think of a current active member who has one. Neither of anyone who's had one long term. I suspect they don't last and perish easy, much, much easier than normal RTC, with all their health problems etc. I'd not expect them to live over 5-10 years.

I remember only one as of recent but it was one for sale in the Marketplace section recently. IDK if it sold. The owner was responsive to questions.
I'm with you I'm not into all these geneticly modified fish. I've been in this hobby for a long time and I see it there's alot of fish that shouldn't be sold in pet stores

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
in my opinion, and I feel I am right. The what you call a SBRTC should be called Dwarf RTCs.

Because I have a regular looking RTC but he is actually short in body to tail length. He moves normal and his head is the biggest on a RTC length for length..

no doubt mine is a Short body RTC with no dwarfism. The SBRTC (dwarf)you guy are talking about are cute as small, but when grown up they just look like roided toads like described. The head of the dwarfed ones are dwarfed too.

This is my RTC. He is short with no dwarfism, and super wide big head. Pitbull RTC

20160729_181452[1].jpg

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
in my opinion, and I feel I am right. The what you call a SBRTC should be called Dwarf RTCs.

Because I have a regular looking RTC but he is actually short in body to tail length. He moves normal and his head is the biggest on a RTC length for length..

no doubt mine is a Short body RTC with no dwarfism. The SBRTC (dwarf)you guy are talking about are cute as small, but when grown up they just look like roided toads like described. The head of the dwarfed ones are dwarfed too.

This is my RTC. He is short with no dwarfism, and super wide big head. Pitbull RTC

View attachment 1195833
How long have you had that rtc?

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
I've had him for less than a month. Last owner raised him since 4" for 6 months. So he's around 8 months old.

I will get a video of this bully.

Reactions: vincentwugwg
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store