Tank Leak!!!!!!

Chiapet29

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
long island, ny
Plz Help,,, I noticed I have a slow leak under my 4ft 75gl Glass S/A tank, no cracks its coming outta the black base,
My question is, what is the best corking to use? & would I have to rehouse my cichlids & drain the tank before I apply the corking?
"Hense dose the glass need to be completely dry" for a successful fix?
Thx in advace for any replys!

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Drain and clean the tank strip all silicone and reseal the tank with silicone... Lots of tutorials on YouTube. There is nothing you can do that does not require completely draining the tank.

Chiapet29

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
long island, ny
Drain and clean the tank strip all silicone and reseal the tank with silicone... Lots of tutorials on YouTube. There is nothing you can do that does not require completely draining the tank.
Ok, thx' I kinda figured that, I will do some more research before I attempt it, I would like to just apply the silicone it the radius of the leak without stripping the base off the bottom, gonna have to wait till tomarrow, no silicone at the moment.
Right now the leak is slow hopefully it dosent open more overnight, but I will keep a close eye on it till then,,,

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
You can do that....but then it would be a ticking time bomb. Old silicone does not bind to new silicone as well.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
for what it is worth, or IMHO, once a tank leaks it needs to be rebuilt not resealed. At the least while it is broke down take the time to reseal the whole tank, it may buy you a few years but it will leak again unless rebuilt. If you know the site of the leak, can put a peace of plastic grocery bag over it to slow it down.

Chiapet29

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
long island, ny
Thank you all for the quick response, I will have to give it some though, most likely I will go ahead & reseal the whole tank,
I've been wanting to up grade to a 125 for awhile now, mabey this happen for a reason, lol

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
buy some time, and keep an active eye on craigs list, good deals out there long as you are vigilant, patient and have the cash on hand.

Reactions: Chiapet29

Chiapet29

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
long island, ny
Siliconed the bottom of my tank yesterday, so far so good, tank is filling up now, no leaks!!!!! Let's see how long it holds up,,,

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Siliconed the bottom of my tank yesterday, so far so good, tank is filling up now, no leaks!!!!! Let's see how long it holds up,,,
I did a quick fix on a corner tank. It lasted 4 years until I gave it away. It was a seam and I just lowered my tank water and let the silicone in there for like an hour didn't let it cure all the way and it was fine lol

I didn't have more than one buckets for my piranha and didn't seem smart to keep them in a bucket for long lol

Reactions: Chiapet29

youngx7

Banned
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2015
fountain valley
Like what most of these guys are saying best route to be sure it's safe is drain the take strip the old silicone then redo it. Little bit of work but it's worth it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store