GT behaviour change

JoeBoxer

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2012
Canada
Hi all,

I've only had my GT for a few weeks now, but the last few days he/she has darkened in colour, spending more time in the cave, digging more, and hovering a lot over a flat rock near the cave.

Also aggressively attacking it's reflection at the back of the tank.

Is it just settling in? Or is the start of breeding behaviour? Thought I had a male but really not sure, especially since I've been hearing its hard to sex them at this size (3").

Thanks!

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
Damn that's a nice tank. I love how natural that is, the driftwood and the stones with a nice coating of algae growth and others that have none. Not to mention the fish. Good work stanz

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Damn that's a nice tank. I love how natural that is, the driftwood and the stones with a nice coating of algae growth and others that have none. Not to mention the fish. Good work stanz
Thanks,I gave all six rivulatus to my dad last week.
They were great fish but my thorichthys are in there now.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
When we getting the pics, have you got any melanura yet
I am not 100%happy with the scape yet,its getting there.I was going to have a mess with it this weekend. The reason I haven't yet is 3 pairs of helleri have decided to spawn at the same time,probably no more than 6 inches apart.
I would like to raise some of these to grow on and add to the group.
Not a great picture,but here are one of the pairs in their spawning stripes.

_20160724_194825.JPG

I picked up 3 young melanura last week.They are around 2 to 3 inches and showing good colour for their size.

JoeBoxer, sorry for the derail.

Reactions: dan518

JoeBoxer

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2012
Canada
I am not 100%happy with the scape yet,its getting there.I was going to have a mess with it this weekend. The reason I haven't yet is 3 pairs of helleri have decided to spawn at the same time,probably no more than 6 inches apart.
I would like to raise some of these to grow on and add to the group.
Not a great picture,but here are one of the pairs in their spawning stripes.

View attachment 1194966

I picked up 3 young melanura last week.They are around 2 to 3 inches and showing good colour for their size.

JoeBoxer, sorry for the derail.
Yea sorry Joe
No worries! Awesome picture, as I said in another post your GTs were beautiful, your dad is getting some nice fish!

How big is that tank again?

The black tear drop face marking is a lot darker on my GT too the last few days. Can they breed at this size? Still pretty small at around 3"

I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on him/her

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
No worries! Awesome picture, as I said in another post your GTs were beautiful, your dad is getting some nice fish!

How big is that tank again?

The black tear drop face marking is a lot darker on my GT too the last few days. Can they breed at this size? Still pretty small at around 3"

I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on him/her
Thanks for the comments on the tank.Its 7x2x2.

My gt's were no more than 3inches when they first started spawning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store