310 gal Stock Planning

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
After being out of fish keeping for a little over two years I am finally back. I will be redoing this tank after I had to take it down after a little more than a year. Work was just too consuming.

The tank is 210cm x 88cm x 67cm.

Now I have time again and want to set it up with driftwood and rock. Nothing even close to the amount I used last time. I plan to put in the following fish to make a predominantly South American tank:
6 oscars (4 tiger, 2 albino tiger)
12 Angels (these are already growing out in a 75 and will be too big for the small oscars I am looking at getting to be considered a snack.
6 Electric blue acaras
and 4 pictus cats

The rock work and structure should give the acaras hiding places and stumps should give the angels and oscars obstacles that break line of sight.

I was going to put in 6 firemouth cichlids and 4-6 convicts but thought the acaras made a better match.

Any foreseeable real problems. I realize all fish personalities are individual etc. but anything standing out as an issue.

I have also thought of adding a non cichlid fish. But will see as I can't think of one to get yet.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Sounds good as long as the oscars leave the angels alone, for non cichlids maybe some silver dollars or pink tail Chalceus

Reactions: fishfanatic80

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
I like hoplo cats better since they're more of a shoaling catfish but that's just personal preference, with pictus cats I feel like when they're young they like to be kept in groups but when they get older they don't want anything to do with another and guard their territories. I see nothing wrong with your stock list though. For a non cichlid shoaling fish id agree with Danny, silver dollars are an excellent choice sticking with the South American theme and get some nice size on them but don't get overly large. There's some nice varieties too like the red hooks, spotted and striped silver dollars.

Last edited:

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I love hoplo's but for some reason they are scarce as here. I may keep looking for some.

I am not a fan of silver dollars, especially when housed with angels as they seem to find those trailing fins irresistible.

Pink Chalceus are a fish I have kept before. But even in a school of eight I found them skittish and not much to them.

I like leporinos but the grating I will use on the top of the tank may leave big enough space for them to leap out. I wouldn't mind a Flagtail. And they sure look different from a cichlid. Does anyone know if feeding them seaweed sheets works?

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
I like flagtails a lot, I haven't seen them in shoals really always singular. Unfortunately I don't have any personal experience in keeping them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store