New guy from northern New Mexico

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I looked for Lionfish from Petco because we live pretty far out in a remote part of New Mexico. I gather there are breeders here.
None that I am aware of.There are very few breeders of saltwater fish and only small numbers of different species have been captive bred.You could order one online and have it delivered to you the next day.

Brian Rodgers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2016
Northern New Mexico
It seems like I ought to stay freshwater then, or am I being a scaredy cat? Despite the fact that I have an aquaponics greenhouse I do not have a knack for growing things, Anemones and coral are probably to be too hard for me.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
It seems like I ought to stay freshwater then, or am I being a scaredy cat? Despite the fact that I have an aquaponics greenhouse I do not have a knack for growing things, Anemones and coral are probably to be too hard for me.
That's ingenious. I need to build a pond of my natives and that would be perfect. I'm going to go old-school though and just dig a big ass hole and fit a liner to a rough frame and drop 'er in lol.

as for your 55. Why not just play around with a FOWLR tank? I have no desire to try salt but that's what I always get pushed at me when someone asks why I don't do salt lol.

There are like 3-4 lionfish at one of my local LFS...they are pretty massive fish though from the looks of it.

Brian Rodgers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2016
Northern New Mexico
That's ingenious. I need to build a pond of my natives and that would be perfect. I'm going to go old-school though and just dig a big ass hole and fit a liner to a rough frame and drop 'er in lol.

as for your 55. Why not just play around with a FOWLR tank? I have no desire to try salt but that's what I always get pushed at me when someone asks why I don't do salt lol.

There are like 3-4 lionfish at one of my local LFS...they are pretty massive fish though from the looks of it.
Thank you for your input. I cleaned the 55 gallon tank and we're heading to Santa Fe in a bit for a doctor appointment for my wife. I'll be heading to fish shops to find either Tiger Barbs or some other fresh water fish.Tiger-Barbs.jpg
I'm seeing recommendations of odd numbers of at least 5. If they have them I'll buy at least 9. I also want live plants. I'll do some features out of small pieces of flagstone too. July-26th-2016-55-gallon-aquarium-in-living-room.jpg
I've got our three big Plecos in a bucket until the water warms up.

Brian Rodgers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2016
Northern New Mexico

I have more than my fair share of digging happening right now...
July-28th-2016-big-rocks-made-little-by-62-year-old-man.jpg
July-28th-2016-big-rocks-made-little-by-62-year-old-man
July-28th-2016-Made-a-ramp-to-the-rock-pit.jpg
July-28th-2016-Made-a-ramp-to-the-rock-pit

July-28th-2016-Koi-finally-came-up-to-eat2.jpg
July-28th-2016-Koi-finally-came-up-to-eat
July-28th-2016-Brook-trout-last-evening-feeding.jpg
July-28th-2016-Brook-trout-last-evening-feeding.

Brian Rodgers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2016
Northern New Mexico
Attachment:

Living-room-aquarium-August-2nd-2016-800px.jpg [ 173.07 KiB | Viewed 5 times ]

Some pretty cool things happening up here.
My wife is enthusiastically embracing the aquarium hobby. I joined another forum called Fishlore.
Freshwater fish keeping is almost as addicting as aquaponics
I joked about adding air lines and a fish tank to our new "master retreat" as the remodeling television shows call a bedroom now. The guys on Fishlore kidded back that it seemed I already have MTS = multiple tank syndrome!
My wife read the post:
http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/f...hing-fish-keeping-isnt-totally-addicting.html
and immediately said "Oh Hell No!"

Attachment:

Let-the-fun-begin-again.jpg [ 153.59 KiB | Viewed 5 times ]

So in my spare time, yuk yuk, I bought hopefully all the plumbing I need to build a RFF and biofilter for the Koi re-purposed spa / pond project.
I've got to keep costs down on this filtration project, but I don't think I can avoid spending a couple hundred bucks. I still need to figure out what type of pump I'll need in the sump and what kind of sump tank I'll need. We've only guessed on the volume of the spa. I hope winging it works, as I have bigger fish to fry.

Brian Rodgers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2016
Northern New Mexico
I'm in pain again this morning so I'm typing with one hand.
I'm in the process of building a series of filters for our little ~600 gallon Koi pond. Looking at something like this:
Attachment:

barrel-filters-3-barrels-de.jpg [ 104.11 KiB | Viewed 5 times ]

This is from: http://www.koipondcentral.com/articles/filtration.php
I need to create better solids filtering in my aquaponics system as well. Too much poo gets into the ST.
From reading here it sounds like three filters is better than two. I do not know how I'll fit another barrel in the greenhouse though. A new 55 gallon barrel is sitting by the front door:
Attachment:

black-barrel.png [ 136.93 KiB | Viewed 5 times ]

I wish I didn't need to pay $60, alas that is what I did. Sourcing items here where there is no industry makes finding food grade barrels impossible. This was free shipping from Amazon prime, and it is here. This will be one of the bio-filters. Oh shoot, it must be the pain and the pain killers, but I just realized this is only two filters as the third barrel is the sump
#1 is the RFF, #2 is the brush filter, #3 is the sump. The RFF is 30 gallons. The ST is 55 gallons. It seems like I need to make this new barrel half brushes half Matala
Attachment:

Matala-filter-material.png [ 138.89 KiB | Viewed 5 times ]

I don't know about the Matala material. It says it is easy to clean, but it looks really difficult to clean to me, not to mention they seem real proud of it price-wise. Any one have experience with Matala?
I better go to the filtration area here and start reading up.

Brian Rodgers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2016
Northern New Mexico
Yo. Good morning!
Sunday:
Dawn until after Dark

I finally got the plumbing for the outdoor 500 gallon Koi pond cut customized and glued. I bought a batch of bulkheads that did not seal at, of all places, the slip joint where the bulkhead meets the PVC pipe. Some creative glue sculpting seems to have done the trick. The water has been running through the spa pond all night, with what looks like using a flashlight hasn't leaked a drop this morning prior to dawn.
Attachment:

August-21st-2016-Another-weekend-of-progress-Outdoor-Koi-tank-filters.jpg [ 126.41 KiB | Viewed 5 times ]

I had it all worked out that I would have all black handle ball valves on the drains. Our grand daughter wanted more attention from me this weekend and we believe she hid the third valve
I decided not to add valves between all the filters and sump barrel. I just didn't think it was worth all the extra plumbing to be able to clean one filter at a time. We'll see. I had already drilled the hole for the bulkhead on the barrel on the right when I realized it was outside the filter building. So I backtracked the plumbing to get the valve back inside!
Only thing in the bio-filter is the bio-balls- No internal plumbing done yet. I want to add sponge lake bio-media in addition to the bio-balls. What I'm gathering from other fish forums is some of the bacteria like to live in and on open cell sponges. I'm going to try keeping loose blocks of sponge so that I don't have to clean them to prevent flow restrictions. I just bought a 12 foot roll of 12 inch wide filter media material. It was cheap, I hope it helps.
Attachment:

August-21st-2016-Another-weekend-of-progress-Outdoor-Koi-tank-filters-drains.jpg [ 82.41 KiB | Viewed 5 times ]

A behind the scenes picture. This filter setup took a long time to create as we've got the excavation for our new bedrooms happening every weekend. I am so very thankful I have good friends who are willing to run the jackhammer for me. Still the job I was doing; cleaning up around the jackhammer with a hoe shovel and wheelbarrow was killer hard work. We're pretty much done with the jackhammer, maybe one more weekend of renting it will finish it up so I can on with plumbing that set of rooms, before we pour concrete.
Attachment:

August-21st-2016-Another-weekend-of-progress-Outdoor-Koi-tank-filters-inflows.jpg [ 151.61 KiB | Viewed 5 times ]

Attachment:

August-21st-2016-Another-day-in-paradise-Jasons-new-saw-the-beast.jpg [ 173.27 KiB | Viewed 5 times ]

Attachment:

August-21st-2016-Another-day-in-paradise-Gopher-and-Adam-awesome-sawyer.jpg [ 142.66 KiB | Viewed 5 times ]

Attachment:

August-21st-2016-Another-day-in-paradise-Jeep-loaded-to-brim-with-firewood.jpg [ 143.75 KiB | Viewed 5 times ]

Well, that is about it for me. It is Monday and I need to get my WiFi installer persona out and put it to use.
You all have a great day.
Brian and Nell Rodgers

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23206

Brian Rodgers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2016
Northern New Mexico
Koi pond filtration is coming together.
Yesterday I was tamping clean dirt in under the bio-filter on the right and whacked the drain after the valve, which of course was bad, but not as bad as finding out I used the wrong cement on the PVC and the pipe to the elbow at the barrel came off as we tried to level the barrel. Grr. We shoved it back together and after the jackhammer crew for the bedroom excavation left, I dug the mud out and repaired the busted 90 degree elbow, re-glued the joints all after dark with a floor lamp attracting every bug for a mile it seemed.

Aug-28th-2016-need-to-add-sand-to-base-today.jpg [ 96.62 KiB | Viewed 52 times ]
I needed to bring the drain pipe on the right (the one I busted) back to the left so its valve will be inside the little structure which will hold the filters heaters and UV clarifier.

Here is a shot this morning of the Koi pond bio-filter back online:
Aug-29th-2016-Koi-pond-morning-after-leak-fix-bio-filter-back-on-line.jpg
Below is a shot a day after the loose JMat over the bio-balls was installed.

Aug-28th-2016-new-media-after-one-day-spa-water-clearing-standpipe-spa.jpg [ 72.85 KiB | Viewed 34 times ]
Here is the same pond a day after the above picture.
Aug-29th-2016-Koi-pond-morning-after-leak-fix.jpg

Back in the earth-sheltered green/fish/house yesterday afternoon I think.

Aug-28th-2016-View-from-garden-door-pond-trout-need-attention-I-need-to-catch-a-few-which-look-stressed-from-heat.jpg [ 103.54 KiB | Viewed 34 times ]
I tried to get a picture of the trout through the viewing window just now, but it isn't light enough yet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store