question for Python users with sand

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Just looked at some Torpedo Beach. That does look nice. I'll try some things and give it another month or so before deciding to switch sand though ... that would be a major chore. But something's got to give because ease of maintenance is the number one priority for me.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Its the distance....i have the same issue with some of my tanks as well....i usually will use a hand syphon into a bucket then when im done gravel vacing I use the python to finish draining and filling back up the tank

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If the height of the outfall of the Python, is not that much lower than the substrate in the tank, this may be the problem. Much has to do with head pressure.
If your tank is in a room with the substrate 4 feet off the floor, and the outfall and faucet of the Python is attached to is 3 ft off the floor, this is very little head pressure.
If however your tank is on the 1st floor(ground floor), and the outfall of the Python is in a basement (10 ft lower) you may find suction would probably be overkill.
I find using a regular siphon with a hose run out a window to my garden and lawn, works much more effectively.
After trying this method, I built permanent PVC lines to the garden, with a stand pipe opening attached to a window. Instead of Pythoning it down the drain, the old water gets a 2nd use, and helps fertilize the garden besides

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
If your tank is in a room with the substrate 4 feet off the floor, and the outfall and faucet of the Python is attached to is 3 ft off the floor, this is very little head pressure.
This is basically my situation. Not much I can do about it because the tank is in the basement, and the slop sink is about 25 feet away.

I could run the tube out the ground-level window to a hose, but that would make the setup more complicated and difficult. I'd change substrates and/or get a manual siphon before going down that road.

I'm going to do another cleaning and water change in a few days, will test some of the ideas here then.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I've had zero issues with my python at different heights...I turn my faucet on full blast, both hot and cold, and it'll suck the fillings out of your teeth.

Reactions: CarpCharacin

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
The python is made for gravel cleaning as far as sucking up waste . For sand in my tank I just use the hose with no attachment on the end and hold it about an inch above the waste.
I do this as well I just put a sponge over my drain to block any sand I pick up from going in my plumbing... Figure if I loose a handfull a week out of the 100pounds in my tank Ill be good to go when I get bored with my substrate :D

Reactions: Freshwater4Life

Freshwater4Life

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2015
VB
I do this as well I just put a sponge over my drain to block any sand I pick up from going in my plumbing... Figure if I loose a handfull a week out of the 100pounds in my tank Ill be good to go when I get bored with my substrate :D
Ha yea not a bad idea. I have mine drain into a bucket before it goes into the drain. After it accumulates after awhile I just dump it back in.

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
Ha yea not a bad idea. I have mine drain into a bucket before it goes into the drain. After it accumulates after awhile I just dump it back in.
I tried to save mine off of the sponge and realized I just dumped all the waste back in.... so I just accept the loss

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store