Raider The Convict

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
It's been a while! I hope all of you are well. Over the past 6 months, I've been growing out a male Convict (Raider). I bought him at 2" and he's now 4-5" in size. He's grown lovely red/blue long flowing fins along his dorsal/caudal area. Although incredibly common, big male Convicts are still one of my favorite Cichlids. They start to take on a mini-Midas look once they fill out and get some size. Anyways, thought I'd share a picture of him. As for my 12" MiDevil, he's doing great! I will try to get a picture up one of these days.
DSC_0070.JPG

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
You got trailers! My convict got his trailer eaten lol he's 5-6".

Mine is very docile but I've seen him fight and he throws down when he needs to.

Mine is getting a small hump too now

image.jpeg

Reactions: coltiger1975

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Damn he looks beefy. Awesome... As usual.

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
Gorgeous fish and nice set up. That looks like the happiest convict cichlid I've seen. Serpae tetras are a nice compliment with him. I'd agree with you in that older beefy convicts don't resemble convicts as much and take on a mini Midas look.

vinod_uthaiah

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 17, 2013
India , Bangalore
It's been a while! I hope all of you are well. Over the past 6 months, I've been growing out a male Convict (Raider). I bought him at 2" and he's now 4-5" in size. He's grown lovely red/blue long flowing fins along his dorsal/caudal area. Although incredibly common, big male Convicts are still one of my favorite Cichlids. They start to take on a mini-Midas look once they fill out and get some size. Anyways, thought I'd share a picture of him. As for my 12" MiDevil, he's doing great! I will try to get a picture up one of these days.
View attachment 1194726
Nice trailers he has on him

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
I think the cichlids we call Convict are really under rated. Scrappy, easy to breed and you don't have to cram them into a tank. It's a shame that the lumpers and splitters that broke up the species Archocentrus nigrofasciatius into the Amatitlania Kanna, Siquia and Nigrofasciata have left most in the hobby with one, the other or a mix. Regardless...one of my favorites. I have them across several tanks and solo in two separate 100 gallon tanks. This is A. siquia from Costa Rica...a little different yellow contrasting colors.

DEV_1913.jpg

AQA_9628.jpg

AQA_9636.jpg

A jumbo 6" male in the 400 gallon tank.

MED_3324.jpg

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
I think the cichlids we call Convict are really under rated. Scrappy, easy to breed and you don't have to cram them into a tank. It's a shame that the lumpers and splitters that broke up the species Archocentrus nigrofasciatius into the Amatitlania Kanna, Siquia and Nigrofasciata have left most in the hobby with one, the other or a mix. Regardless...one of my favorites. I have them across several tanks and solo in two separate 100 gallon tanks. This is A. siquia from Costa Rica...a little different yellow contrasting colors.

View attachment 1195537

View attachment 1195538

View attachment 1195539

A jumbo 6" male in the 400 gallon tank.

View attachment 1195540
Exquisite pictures.

Reactions: Aquamojo
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store