Failed silicone seams

Brent419

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2014
Toledo OH
So I am still dismantling my 220 gallon aquarium. I had to replace a side panel as well as I can only get the aquarium into my basement in pieces anyhow lol.

While I am diligently removing silicone I keep wondering if my new seams will hold.

One of the tanks I got for free for replacement glass had failed (hence the free part). The back panel completely came off - the silicone just separated all the way down on both ends. The entire 6' glass panel then fell to the floor behind the tank and then cracked. (The cracked panel supplies me with the appropriate peice I need for the 220 after I have it cut to size.

This guy had over $1100 damage to his living room, kitchen and finished basement when all the water gushed out.

So I am wondering what people's experiences have been as to what caused their tank failures... Anything I can do to ensure success?

I am cleaning the old silicone 100% off of the old glass. Even when I think I have it all, there is still a very fine film I can still remove. I am confident I am getting it all removed. Extremely tedious.

I plan on ordering scs1200 silicone. I'll make sure all oils are removed from the glass (from handling it) before siliconing.

Been watching tons of videos but want to hear advice for the folks who know this the best. What else can I do? I've never done this before and really don't need 220 gallons of water all over my basement floor.

Thanks!

Niners4952

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2016
The failed tank probably sat outside in cold weather, I bought a 300 that was sitting in the snow, well 2 weeks full of water a seam split and lost all the water, well after that i did some research and cold weather is the worst for silicone and will cause it to fail. I used momentive 118 I believe or something like that

Brent419

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2014
Toledo OH
Probably a good thing I am tearing it apart and rebuilding then since it was sitting in a garage in Michigan for a few years before buying it. I've not heard of momentive 118 - will look into this one. Thanks!

Brent419

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2014
Toledo OH
Any special prep before applying the silicone? I know surface has to be completely clear of old silicone first.

I've heard about the use of primers too. You guys use them? I've never even seen these before. I was planning on using something to remove any oils first. (Maybe rubbing alcohol? Then let it dry first)

Did you guys clamp the panels together or just use duct tape to temporarily hold them in place?

I took apart the lasts of the panels last night. Have to continue cleaning the old silicone. My God that's a tedious job!

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Yes, you will want to clean the glass with acetone after getting all the silicone off. Glass should be squeeky clean before trying to put it back together.

You will want to use good clamps to hold everything. Tape wont keep it steady enough. If your glass slides after the silicone has skinned over it will not hold properly and you need to start over.

Niners4952

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2016
believe it was the 108 and it was clear, I did use it to attach the glass panel from my 300 to my 600 plywood tank and its been running for a couple months with no signs of issues

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store