What SA cichlid produces at least some $

tonysdiscus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2006
holiday,florida
Would be better than trying to sell discus fry or small discus as the require a lot of water changes and time,food etc. to top it off there are many importers that will probably see theirs cheaper or fir the same prices as you. Just my opinion

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just a little food for thought, and trying to be realistic.
The size for notatus fry to sell to stores etc, is probably minimum 2"-3".
You will need maybe 3 or 4 grow out tanks to raise healthy young to sellable size, and it will take 4-5 months of lots of feedings and water changes to get them there.
In your city, how many people are there into large cichlids? Those that will realistically buy a portion of the spawn? Are you a member of a local fish club that gives you a "captive" ready group to sell to?
I lived in a city of 1 million people, belong to a local club and usually found I was lucky if I found 2 or 3 aquarists who wanted what I had, at the exact moment I had them, and LFSs would take them for pennies of the dollar, more likely I'd get "store credit". Many people I knew would prefer to trade fish, which was OK, because in 50 years of fish keeping, I almost always lost money. or at best barely broke even.
My guess is you will need to ship, soon after you saturate your local market, so if you are comfortable with shipping it may work. But consider, you will be competing with well known, well respected, well set up vendors like those "you" buy from.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Discus are probably the only thing that will work. Most shops should take them and there's always demand. The fry can be raised with parents for a while which helps.

Angels are another option.

I have also heard rams are really good if you have the space for a few grow out tanks

Fish on Fire

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Visalia/Berkeley, California
Real tip, just fill your tank with a nice guppy strain and tons of plants if you're looking to make some money or at least have the tank pay for itself. Guppies are easy to care for and don't require nearly as much water changes as cichlids do. The fry will also grow up without your care, just feed a little powdered food in the tank, they don't need bbs.

You'd be much better off just being an Uber or Lyft driver if you want to make some money on the side, lol.

Reactions: paulW and dan518

krisH42o

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2013
Louisville
I recommend going to your local pet shops and seeing what they don't have. Discus, Angelfish and guppy breeders are very common in my area and we have ALOT of shops to choose from. Although mentioned fish are quite popular and sell quickly in shops they can be hard to sell when multiple breeders already are. If
I had to recommend an easy fish that I'm interested in that I rarely see in shops it would be a strain of Japanese bred endler or any endler.
Good luck!

jgldsh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2015
Cypress (Houston), Texas
IMO, you cant hope to make money with 1 tank and 1 species. If you are lucky, maybe pay for food.

Get a relationship with a LFS to sell to them at near wholesale (1/3 of retail). Quantities of the species on a regular basis is going to be the best source.

I invested $3K+ and literary 1000 hours to breed the G. mirabilis Aripuana and not with the intent of making money. Saw a beautiful fish without any info and availability, so I took a challenge on a rare species. You might see the price of each of the fish is "high" and think that I am swimming in profits, but I am not. $25 for a 3-4" if you find a buyer, have to ship, have to have a guarantee, and unless you have some name recognition on the boards, people think you are a scam. Locally selling a rare species is a very limited market. LFS's will give you 1/3 of retail usually (wholesale price). Wholesalers will give you 1/9th of retail.

Problem with rare species is that it is a limited market with limited buyers, therefore limited income...

To make money, you have to get the volume going, so rare/specialized is not the way to go, so you pick a species which your LFS can turn over quickly for a decent price.

Go through your LFS, see what you want to sell at 1/3 of retail and has a name recognition/market locally. Something like discus, some geos, plecos, heckelii or what your LFS wants to market in a few months...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store