What does it take to maintain a monster tank?

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi MFK.
I have been in this hobby for a few years now, and has been fascinated by some of the monster tanks and fish owned by members here. It is my dream to own such a tank, but before that, I would really want to know what it would take to maintain such a tank and take care these large animals for 20+ years.

Noted that it is a hypothetical question, and I am no where close to having the space, nor the cash to start this project. I just want to see if it's practical for me to handle such a tank, especially if I will likely have to do everything alone.

Let's just say it will be a 4m*3m*1.5m tank, so nearly 5000 gallon. It would probably be made with concrete blocks and has a single viewing window in front, though any alternative suggestions is welcome.
So, here are the questions I can think of now.

1. First of all, stocking. I haven't made up my mind yet, but I probably should give you a general idea of what I have in mind so that you can give me more precise suggestions. Now, a TSN as the centerpiece is the first priority to me. I suppose a 5000 gallon tank should be enough for one judging from what I see, but would also like to listen to experienced keepers. Does the proposed tank seem to be a good life-time enclosure for a TSN? Other interesting tankmates include a few Peacock bass, an Arowana for the top water, some rays, and a group of Pacu/Giant gourami. Does this looks like a sound plan? Also, would want another kind of schooling fish that would not be swallowed by the TSN.

2. I suppose I have to get most of the fish mentioned above when they are small, so basically I will have to grow them out in smaller tanks first. The thing is though, I may not have that many space for separate grow out tanks dedicated to each species, and that the different growth rate of fish could make putting them in a single grow out tank a bad idea. What do you guys do when you start building your monster tank from scratches.

3. The tank will most likely be an indoor tank. With that much water indoor, moisture would be a problem. How do you tackle this? And is there any other problem you will face with this large body of water?

4. What is your WC schedule for these tanks? Something like 50% per week like your everyday normal tank, or you actually don't have to do that much for such a large tank?

5. How do you medicate your fish? Medicating the whole tank will be extremely expensive, and would potentially damage your other healthy fish. Do you actually have to prepare another closure for your 2ft+ monster fish?

6. Decorations. My plan is to give it a sand substrate, together with large rocks and woods. Noticed that none of the 1000+ gallon tanks I have seen have plants in it, obviously because of the difficulty of reaching the substrate and lighting. Wondering if it's possible to plant some big plants though. Something like Giant vallis. It's not really important, since it's more for my eyes than the sake of the fish.

That's about all the questions I could think of now. Would really like to hear your monster tanks owners' experience. Thanks all.

The Dave

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2016
U.S.A
www.youtube.com
Filtration is of prime importance when keeping large fish. Big fish also need to be fed a lot. So, those two items need to be considered. The water quality will decline quickly, so large water changes will need to be made. It's a lot of work and money. So, plan accordingly. .

Reactions: tlindsey

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Filtration is of prime importance when keeping large fish. Big fish also need to be fed a lot. So, those two items need to be considered. The water quality will decline quickly, so large water changes will need to be made. It's a lot of work and money. So, plan accordingly. .
Drip system should take care of that which is a must for a huge tank.

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Hong Kong
Yeah, I understand it would be very costly. I am just trying to get ideas from the more experienced hobbyist around here, so that I can understand if I am prepared for this, both financially and physically.

Drip system should take care of that which is a must for a huge tank.
Yeah, I am aware of this. Just want to know roughly how much water do they use for, say a month, so that I could estimate the rough maintenance fee for such a tank in my country. Water bill shouldn't be a lot comparing to the electricity bill, especially when you need to heat the tank in Winter, but would still want a rough number.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Yeah, I understand it would be very costly. I am just trying to get ideas from the more experienced hobbyist around here, so that I can understand if I am prepared for this, both financially and physically.

Yeah, I am aware of this. Just want to know roughly how much water do they use for, say a month, so that I could estimate the rough maintenance fee for such a tank in my country. Water bill shouldn't be a lot comparing to the electricity bill, especially when you need to heat the tank in Winter, but would still want a rough number.
It's honestly up to you how much you want to drop and dial down its all trial and error. You can Drip 20 gallons a day to 150 gallons a day it's up to you how much you want to drip. As for cost it varies from state to state even county to county here in the states.

Some areas where there is well water it's free.

You're from Hong Kong why do you need s heater?

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Hong Kong
It's honestly up to you how much you want to drop and dial down its all trial and error. You can Drip 20 gallons a day to 150 gallons a day it's up to you how much you want to drip. As for cost it varies from state to state even county to county here in the states.

Some areas where there is well water it's free.

You're from Hong Kong why do you need s heater?
In Winter temperature still drops to below 15 degree Celsius occasionally, so I would need a heater in Winter. At least it's true for the normal sized tanks I owned. Luckily, I shouldn't need it on for a long period of time, and that helps a lot in reducing the bill.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Dripping is based on stocking levels but 50% is pretty good

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I have a 540 gallon tank, and it is less maintenance than my 125 gallon. I don't stock too heavily, so my drip system keeps up, so I never do water changes.

I have an open sump with 4 filter socks that need changing every 2-3 weeks, but that takes about 2 minutes change. I put the dirty ones in the washing machine.

Only real time I spend on maintenance is vacuuming the bottom about once a week. That's 10-15 minutes maybe?

If you set it up right, stock reasonably, a big tank is very low maintenance.

The only real pain with a big tank is netting fish out of it. that's a production in a bigger tank.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
I have a 540 gallon tank, and it is less maintenance than my 125 gallon. I don't stock too heavily, so my drip system keeps up, so I never do water changes.

I have an open sump with 4 filter socks that need changing every 2-3 weeks, but that takes about 2 minutes change. I put the dirty ones in the washing machine.

Only real time I spend on maintenance is vacuuming the bottom about once a week. That's 10-15 minutes maybe?

If you set it up right, stock reasonably, a big tank is very low maintenance.

The only real pain with a big tank is netting fish out of it. that's a production in a bigger tank.
Even if you overstock the worst case is more water changes. Let's be real many of us with big tanks overstock from time to time

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store