Tetra whisper air pump loud

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
On most of my tanks, I use tetra whisper 60 pumps. I have a 20 gallon tall in my bedroom and i have a whisper 60 on it. The pump was making noise on and off and rattling. I put the power cord across the top of the tank so the pump was facing up and that made it go away for a while. I finally just got frustrated and I swapped out the pump with another whisper 60 that I was not using. I would still like to use that other whisper 60. Is there any way I can fix it and keep it from rattling?

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
On most of my tanks, I use tetra whisper 60 pumps. I have a 20 gallon tall in my bedroom and i have a whisper 60 on it. The pump was making noise on and off and rattling. I put the power cord across the top of the tank so the pump was facing up and that made it go away for a while. I finally just got frustrated and I swapped out the pump with another whisper 60 that I was not using. I would still like to use that other whisper 60. Is there any way I can fix it and keep it from rattling?
You have to open it up and play with the diaphragm. Not sure on warranty but check with tetra.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
+1 on that. Air pumps get noisy when their diaphrams are going out or are broken. Open up the pump and check if the rubber diaphrams are intact, if damaged Contact tetra to get replacements

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
+1 on that. Air pumps get noisy when their diaphrams are going out or are broken. Open up the pump and check if the rubber diaphrams are intact, if damaged Contact tetra to get replacements
I fixed one of my old ones by just putting in some cotton in there to make it quieter lol

Reactions: CarpCharacin

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Yeah sometimes it's as easy as taking it out and adjusting it might work. Worked on a few had one not working and cleaned everything inside it was rusty lol
Sounds like a bad diaphragm to me. They're simple to replace. Good luck.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I opened it up and the diaphragms look fine. I have not put it back together yet. I have been busy doing water changes on my two 40s.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I think that one of the diaphragms was just loose. I popped it back into place and i plugged it in and it appears to be fixed. I have not tested it on a tank, so I am not 100% sure but I think it is fixed.

Reactions: Hendre
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store