Fish heat stroke!!!

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Sorry about your loss.

What is your typical temp? I keep my CA tank at 75.

If it was 85 after cooling down, it could have been at least 90. If the high temperature is the only variable that changed, then it's reasonable to conclude that the temperature was a factor. There could be other factors at work that weakened the fish, but the temperature appears to have been the tipping point. I generally don't believe in coincidences.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
SA cichlid would be fine at temp 85F.
Even my saltwater fish here in summer time temp would reach 86F mid day and none my fishes die and most of the time saltwater species very sensitive to high temperature.

MRE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Parrish, FL
It's hard to say. A South American fish should be able to tolerate warm temps but it's always possible that the drastic change in temperature was a shock to his system enough for some dormant parasite to take over.

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
exactly. As with most water parameters, fish can adjust and survive as long as there's consistency. Drastic swings in any parameter can be lethal, and this was a pretty drastic swing

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
If I was in your situation and not certain, I'd do a basic water parameters check to rule that out. Not knowing your fish aside, my tank hits 91F - but I think they are capable to survive.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
At higher temps, oxygen depletion can be a problem, and if direct sunlight was hitting the tank during the afternoon, and /or if water quality had also degraded due to lack of water changes, heat combined with those other factors is a possibility.
I would imagine in Austin there would be no need to have the heaters plugged in May thru Oct, most Central American cichlids will do fine in the mid 70sF. Temps above 82'F tend to be breeding grounds for bacteria.

Reactions: Ihsnshaik

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
It's hard to say. A South American fish should be able to tolerate warm temps but it's always possible that the drastic change in temperature was a shock to his system enough for some dormant parasite to take over.
FYI he did say it was Central American, not South.

The Dave

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2016
U.S.A
www.youtube.com
I agree with the person above. It's the temp. Swing not the high temp. But it may not be heat at all, heat can affect p.h. too.
Did you and your lady fight recently, does she hate your fish.

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
From what I've read American cichlids should be okay in temperatures like that. I keep the temperature at 79-82 in all of my tanks and have had no problems. You should adjust the heaters they max at around 80 degrees.
All I've got is a video of when I first brought him home, I've had this guy for probably 5-6 months now and it's been doing great he would eat every day and it seemed healthy he even had some of his supper torn up fins regenerate that I wasn't sure would heal

Any pics of the fish? How big was it? How long did you have it? Was it eating?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store