adjustable drip emmiters

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I am currently in the process of trying to get the drip running in the fish room. What drip emmiters are people using? I am interested in the adjustable ones. Is it marked on the emmiter the rate as you adjust or do you need to keep calculating it out?

thanks

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I use the Home Depot drip emitters. They are color coded. I use the red (4GPH). They are cheap and easy to use. I don't like adjustable ones because they seem more likely to fail to me. The key is your water pressure. Most are made to function around 45 psi but most homes are well over 60 psi. Just something to consider when using emitters.

20160726_224233.jpg

To adjust my flow I tee off multiple emitters. My house is double pressure regulated. I can use the easy math of 4x# of tees and trust the flow. These are quick release so I can revert back to a single emitters with a click. You want to keep one with access to air to act as a syphon break. This tank is running 12 GPH. One is above the surface zip tied to the return.

20160726_224302.jpg

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I use the Home Depot drip emitters. They are color coded. I use the red (4GPH). They are cheap and easy to use. I don't like adjustable ones because they seem more likely to fail to me. The key is your water pressure. Most are made to function around 45 psi but most homes are well over 60 psi. Just something to consider when using emitters.

View attachment 1195347
I use the same emitters pictured above

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Thanks guys. How long do those emitters normally last or do you just replace them annually or semi annually?
Also how much of your tank do you turn over per week/day?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Thanks guys. How long do those emitters normally last or do you just replace them annually or semi annually?
Also how much of your tank do you turn over per week/day?
I replace them bi-annually. Each change of season I adjust the flow for temps . I replace them at that time. I've yet to have one fail.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
cool thanks interesting about seasonal change on temp. Do also base it on nitrate levels?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
cool thanks interesting about seasonal change on temp. Do also base it on nitrate levels?
It is designed around nitrate levels. The seasons thing just helps with temp in the tanks. My situation is a bit unique. I will be rebuilding my drip with adjustable flow, temp control chlorine/chlorimine filtered. I have a thread started in setup/filtration. I'll tag you when I get to that part here soon.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
It is designed around nitrate levels. The seasons thing just helps with temp in the tanks. My situation is a bit unique. I will be rebuilding my drip with adjustable flow, temp control chlorine/chlorimine filtered. I have a thread started in setup/filtration. I'll tag you when I get to that part here soon.
Thanks that would be great. I don't have temp control but just installed a big ole house chloramine filter.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Thanks that would be great. I don't have temp control but just installed a big ole house chloramine filter.
Care to share the details of you chlorimine filter? I don't care for mine and am looking for what's next. I have to change mine entirely too often.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
When I had my drip system set-up, I started with emitters from Home Depot and ended up removing them - just flowing water into the tanks.

I found that my house water pressure varied pretty significantly based on the day/time, other use of water in the house, etc. and more water changes is better.

Matt

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store