Advice Needed for lungfish

Shishir Shetye

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
Mumbai, India
Hi...

Recently I adopted west African lungfish. I have placed it in 4ft X 2ft X 2ft.
With no filter, i clean water 40% after every 3 days.

Any one please suggest a proper diet for him.

I am giving him 2 pellets of Hikari algae wafer and Hikari Tropical Massivore Delite (alternate days) and also small amount of blood worms daily in evening and earth worms occasionally. Is this ok..???

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
Yes, you absolutely do need a filter if you want that fish to survive. Also, your is too small to house that fish for life. That fish can easily grow over 3 feet and that tank can't accommodate it.

Reactions: Shishir Shetye

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
First a fairly decent filter is required for any lungfish specie unless you do extremely big wayer changes every day. Secondly a tank with at least 6x6 footprint and bigger is better even though lung fish are not super active. A small popup swimming pool is better.

The diet sounds ok but some form of fish such as fillets or cubes of tilapia or similar will do him good.

If you want a lung fish that can live in that tank indefinitely a gilled african lungfish is for you reaching around 13" but they are extremely rare as few have been exported from their native range

Reactions: Shishir Shetye

Shishir Shetye

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
Mumbai, India
Thanks for advice.

Ya sure I have main tank of 7 X 2 X 2.5 Ft. I will replace it after some months because he is just 10inch in size.

This tank i provided is temporary residence for him. And which type of filter will be needed, i used power filter but that gives him trouble to sit in any place silently.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Your tank is about 110 gallons right? A filter that turns over at least 400 gallons per hour is recommended and 600 gallons per hour is ideal. For that sorta power you need quality canister filters or a sump if your tank has an overflow.
Last thing if the filtration is under the tank make sure it can pump 600GPH to the tank if the filters are below, they lose flowrate if you are pumping upwards

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Load your tank with floating plants and assuming your tank receives ample sunlight, you can really cut back on filtration that way

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store