What cool NW cichlids are available in the trade atm?

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Hey y'all,

I haven't been around for a while, but I'll be stocking a 75g soon. I had the idea of 1 or 2 breeding pairs, but some of the fish that were around last time I was seriously into the hobby seem to be missing at the moment. I've checked Rapps list, and don't quite see what I'm looking for, and I was wondering if there were any new reputable sources for interesting fish. I don't know if the nomenclature has changed or what.

Here's the list of things I've considered that I can't seem to locate.

A. Lyonsi
H. Sp atabopo or rotkiel
H. Carpintis "escondido"
A. Rivulatus or "gold saum"

The Lfs in my area are mostly devoted to marine fish and corals, and the big box stores lack the rarer species. Any recommendations?

Thanks

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Rivulatus are pretty common. I see those at petcos and Petsmart. I feel the "Escondido" carpintis are fairly common too. Lyonsi I don't see too much off.

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
Within the past two years the electric blue acara just started to hit the trade. When you say in the trade at the moment I'm assuming you want something on the newer end. I find electric blue acaras to be a newer species available. They would also do good in your set up as they do not get too large and have a more peaceful deminar then the other cichlids you listed. Out of the listed fish my lfs carries them all except lyonsi. I'm also fortunate enough to have good lfs around me but I'm also willing to drive 45-60 minutes to get a fish I want.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Cichlidsoftheamericas has super nice stock. I usually buy from Dan or rapps to be honest. Aside from a private party.

Wet spot has gold saums. Cichlids of the Americas has true green terrors, lyonsi, and rio hondo carpintis.

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Cichlidsoftheamericas has super nice stock. I usually buy from Dan or rapps to be honest. Aside from a private party.

Wet spot has gold saums. Cichlids of the Americas has true green terrors, lyonsi, and rio hondo carpintis.

I came across them googling but didn't know anything about them. Are they pretty reliable? Do you have any idea where they're located? I'm in Alabama so shipping from some places (west coast) can't be expensive. They definitely have fish in their list I would be happy with.

What happened to lyonsi? I know they're endangered in the wild. They'd didn't go extinct dos they?

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I'm not sure about wetspot, but I've heard good things about them.

Dan at cichlidsoftheamericas is awesome. Its $100 minimum, but is well worth it imo. My shipping was like $75 I think last time, but I ordered one bigger fish with a lot of smaller ones that came in a giant cooler essentially full of water. It would probably be around $50 on average probably with smaller fish. I live 40min outside of bham by the way.

It seems steep, but ive tried to take the cheap way out a couple times only to have expensive deformed feeders on down the road.

Lyonsi look to be extinct in the wild by a quick google search, but I can't confirm it. If people have them they dont post about them a lot.

Reactions: Diogenes

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Lyonsi are cool, I had one that very quickly outgrew a 125 gallon. They are a lot like Trimac's, which is why I think most people don't keep Lyonsi. If you have room for a Lyonsi or 2, why wouldn't you just get a couple Trimac's instead?

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Wait. Rapps has this variety of gold without markings? I should of never looked in here.

Reactions: Diogenes

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I'm not sure about wetspot, but I've heard good things about them.

Dan at cichlidsoftheamericas is awesome. Its $100 minimum, but is well worth it imo. My shipping was like $75 I think last time, but I ordered one bigger fish with a lot of smaller ones that came in a giant cooler essentially full of water. It would probably be around $50 on average probably with smaller fish. I live 40min outside of bham by the way.

It seems steep, but ive tried to take the cheap way out a couple times only to have expensive deformed feeders on down the road.

Lyonsi look to be extinct in the wild by a quick google search, but I can't confirm it. If people have them they dont post about them a lot.
Bro, we should get to know one another! I'm finishing up grad school, and I've got some family business to take care of, but I was seriously considering starting a cichlid club in bham similar to the one I was in when I lived in DC (CCA). Call it the magic city cichlid association.

At the very least we should split shipping on an order sometime.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store