Male of female

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
i agree with what's stated above, anything can happen but your more likely to get them to breed if they paired off naturally. You might need to watch aggression as well it can either run smoothly or be bad and have to rehome one of them. Why is there a gender poll at the top? This isn't a sexing question.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just a heads up, the cichlids you posted, are not South Americans, they are from Mexico (North America), and Central America (also geographically speaking, still North America).
This may be important because, in many circles, South American cichlids are thought to do best in soft water.
The species you show, come from more mineral rich environments, and do well in hard water.

Cichlid03

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2016
Just a heads up, the cichlids you posted, are not South Americans, they are from Mexico (North America), and Central America (also geographically speaking, still North America).
This may be important because, in many circles, South American cichlids are thought to do best in soft water.
The species you show, come from more mineral rich environments, and do well in hard water.
Ok thanks can you tell me wot sex they are

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Ok thanks can you tell me wot sex they are
Vieja are very hard to sex just by looking at them unless they're 10" plus. I've seen vieja at 15-17" before and are monsters. I have two of them and they seem like they are always together I would be very surprised if they bred. They're 3-4" right now.

You have to vent them. I vented one of my vieja and its a male but the other I couldn't properly sex it was too young at that time.

Sometimes it does work just having two fish and having them pair off. My midas paired off after 5 years having 8 potential candidates. Wasn't trying to breed just was having a nice community tank which didn't last after they started breeding and lost them all when the male went psycho and killed everything over night lol

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with Ihsnshaik, young Vieja melanurum (AKA synspillum) are very hard to sex at a young age. At maturity males are said to acquire blue eyes, this is usually at 2 - 3 years of age..
Some people think fin trailers indicate males, but I have seen females with very elongate fins.
I also agree that if you want your Vieja (or any other cichlids) to breed, unless you are very lucky, getting a group of 6 to 8 will increase odds of getting a compatible pair.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store