Does anyone else flex at their alpha fish during water changes?

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Just curious, because I'm doing a water change/cleaning here with a couple of drinks in me, does anybody scare the tough guy fish in your tank when your trying to do tank maintenance? I've got this little Flowerhorn in my 220 trying to attack my magnet algae thing like he's going to show me something, and it's actually just getting me bent. I just squared off to him and head butted the glass quick to punk him out in front of his buddies, he scooted off quick so I think I can still shower at my place without concern. "It's my tank son, I'm running this". I can remember going as far as chasing a fish around with my hand when it was bothering another fish just to assert myself. Hoping to take a little steam off a couple bad situations and bad pairings. Anybody else, or am I the new weirdest guy on MFK? (Nobody is going to admit this.)

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
No worries, nobody will. Just laughing at the hubris of this little fish. Respect the hand that feeds dammit. Your blessed in that little world your running. Little ****. It's funny he's sowing his oats at me at 3+ inches.

Pred-Finatic

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2016
Canada
My old ruby red spilo use to charge and chase me, when I was in front of his tank. Ended chewing apart my nets, when I collected plant clippings/debris. Really miss the little bugger.

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
I am not above admitting that I shout at my fish for not doing what I want them to... Or give them a proper telling off if they are being aggressive. I had a proper shout at my fahaka after she killed my 3 inch jag for no reason.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I used to show my fahaka whos boss when she was young... Then as time went on she learnt she wasnt the king of the tank...

Now that im keep P.Gymnothorax eels totally different story, since sometimes they sneak around behind all the plants and all of a sudden i see will see a big yellow thing swimming towards my hand, at which point its more quickly getting my hand out to save risk being bit by accident...

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
You know what, I'd leave an eel alone too. There are certain fish at certain sizes where your hand can become a chew toy. Funny enough I've found that all of the largest cichlids I've owned became much cooler as they have aged. Not sure if they just became accustomed to me doing work or they just grew out of playing tough guy.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
My pink tail chalceus hits any food that enters the tank (he is bout 2.5") and swims like he is king but the moment my hand enters the water he is gone

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store