divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Been a great July so far. Everything from Lakers, Steelhead, and Pink Salmon to Walleye, Bass, and Sunfish. Best fish this month (and probably year) was a 36" 23# Lake Trout from this past Saturday. More offshore action this weekend and Lake Ontario for Lake Trout and Salmon in two weeks!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Havn't posted in this thread for a while, but it's been a rough July, not a lot of action and the actions we ARE getting is from fish that are turning out to be incredibly lazy, for example, last week another of my friends got his license and we fished the dam Weds, Thurs, Fri and aside from a handful of small Flathead cats in the 22-26" range, I got a 31" w/ a 19.25" girth that literally just ate my sunfish and SAT THERE for God-knows-how-long. The only reason I even caught it was because 2 hours went by without a bite, so I checked my lines, setting the hooks before reeling as a safeguard - thought I was snagged and then my "snag" went 20 feet in the other direction. SOOOOOOO hot even the fish don't want to fight. All in all I think we got 6-8 Flatheads total, my friend's was largest at 33", w/ a 19.75" girth and around 16lbs.

Earlier Wednesday I ended up catching an 18", 3lb Smallmouth while I was fishing for BAIT lol I wasn't there for Bass, but after I had a bucketful of sunfish for Flatheads later, I saw a nice pair of post-spawn Smallies so I figured "WTH" and tossed a whole nightcrawler at them and about 3 seconds later I had one of them hooked. Good fight, but I wish it would have been on an UL.....I had a med-light Lightning Rod I just bought I wanted to test it out and I still technically only had 4-lb mono, but I'm done catching Bass on anything except Ultralight gear, it's just not as fun.

Went to another spot on the river where a cold-water stream empties into it Sunday w/ 2 friends and we got a channel cat right as we got there at 6am, but then everything was dead-still when the heat started setting in, couldn't get anything to hit on live bait - no sunfish, creek chubs, suckers, not even Hellgrammites, so I eventually started tossing crankbaits and got a 13" Smallies, and for the next 2 hours I basically cycled through every lure in my vest to see what I could get them to hit. Ended up getting a few on a Beetle-spin w/ a chartreuse Spring grub w/ a lead-head, a bunch on the Rebel teeny-wee Crawfish (natural) and finished w/ a small Mepp's Aglia weighted w/ a 1/8 oz split-shot to keep it running deep. Bagged 13 Smallies that day, in the 8-11" range, but only that 1st one was a "keeper" (even thought I don't keep Bass).

2 weeks ago we did the same spot at the dam and got mixed bags of Flatheads and Channels up til almost lunchtime, but this was before the water REALLY heated up, now it's about 80-85F regularly and I hate it. The Channels don't seem bothered by it too much, they put up a better fight than I'd expect. We got some pix, i'll post 'em when the guys send 'em to me

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

Renegade Aquatics

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2016
Everett, WA
Well the fishing season is going to start picking up for me as I will be over in Spokane for a week
in August
my main targets are gonna be Channel cats from the Spokane River and Tiger muskie from Lake Newman (doubt I'll get one in a week, but you bet I'm gonna try)

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Oahu still get feeeyysssh! About an hour and fifteen minute session. Picked up what I needed for me and a request from a non fisherman.

image.jpeg

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Oahu still get feeeyysssh! About an hour and fifteen minute session. Picked up what I needed for me and a request from a non fisherman.

View attachment 1196048
I think I recognize the top 2 as Jack Crevalles, but what are those other 2 w/ the blue trim on the fins?

EDIT: Just hit Wikipedia, and looked under the genus for Jacks, I think it's a Bluefin Trevally?

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
I think I recognize the top 2 as Jack Crevalles, but what are those other 2 w/ the blue trim on the fins?

EDIT: Just hit Wikipedia, and looked under the genus for Jacks, I think it's a Bluefin Trevally?
The blue ones are bluefin trevally (Caranx melampygus) and the top two are giant trevally (Caranx ignobilis). Very good eating pan fried, steamed, baked, etc. White meat fish.

We don't have the jack crevalles (Caranx hippos) in Hawaii. I hear the crevalles are trash fish up there. But they look fun and easy to hook into! I always wanted to go somewhere like Florida and fight big crevalles all day!

Last edited:

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
The blue ones are bluefin trevally (Caranx melampygus) and the top two are giant trevally (Caranx ignobilis). Very good eating pan fried, steamed, baked, etc. White meat fish.

We don't have the jack crevalles (Caranx hippos) in Hawaii. I hear the crevalles are trash fish up there. But they look fun and easy to hook into! I always wanted to go somewhere like Florida and fight big crevalles all day!
Giants??? They must be just yearlings or so if they fit on your cutting board......I thought they got 200lbs

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Giants??? They must be just yearlings or so if they fit on your cutting board......I thought they got 200lbs
Yeah. They are babies (we call them papio under 10 lbs) compared to the big boys (legal size is 10 inches head to fork) but imo the best tasting size. The GT's get up to 200 lbs. I've caught some big ones but the elusive 100 lb plus fish hasn't panned out for me yet. We slide bait for them and stay out all night waiting/catching bait/drinking/bbq'ing. I don't really enjoy going for the big boys. I usually leave late into the night while the hard core/dedicated boys stay out all night.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store