Favorite sunfish for aquarium

Pred-Finatic

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2016
Canada
Never had one in my home aquarium, as collecting any fish from the wild is illegal (without a permit and proper papers).

Was always a fan pumpkin seeds, loved their colours and patterns. After looking at some of the threads here on sunfish, I have to say long ears are definitely the prettiest looking in my opinion.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Never had one in my home aquarium, as collecting any fish from the wild is illegal (without a permit and proper papers).

Was always a fan pumpkin seeds, loved their colours and patterns. After looking at some of the threads here on sunfish, I have to say long ears are definitely the prettiest looking in my opinion.
Man I'd hate to live in an area where its illegal to collect and keep...

Pred-Finatic

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2016
Canada
Man I'd hate to live in an area where its illegal to collect and keep...
That's the law here, and I must abide. I thought about ordering online once, but couldn't find any dealer/suppliers within my province that captive bred them.

Read somewhere once, that having your fishing license allows you to keep a limited number of fish you catch (limits to size and weight though). As long as you never release the fish back into the wild or attempt selling it, it would alright to keep them. Not sure how accurate that is or if any truth holds to it, so better safe than sorry I guess.

"Hey I'm catching these fish to eat, but will probably have a setup ready for them". (jokingly thought to myself once)

Last edited:

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
That's the law here, and I must abide. I thought about ordering online once, but couldn't find any dealer/suppliers within my province that captive bred them.

Read somewhere once, that having your fishing license allows you to keep a limited number of fish you catch (limits to size and weight though). As long as you never release the fish back into the wild or attempt selling it, it would alright to keep them. Not sure how accurate that is or if any truth holds to it, so better safe than sorry I guess.

"Hey I'm catching these fish to eat, but will probably have a setup ready for them". (jokingly thought to myself once)
ya state law here is you can keep any game fish of any size for bait, but its a grey area because they have no idea what size bait I need lol so keeping fish in a tank at home is by all definition legal for me. I did talk with the CO that patrols this jurisdiction about it, he basically said he doesn't care what I do as long as I'm not taking undersize fish to eat lol.

Reactions: FESHMAN

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
ya state law here is you can keep any game fish of any size for bait, but its a grey area because they have no idea what size bait I need lol so keeping fish in a tank at home is by all definition legal for me. I did talk with the CO that patrols this jurisdiction about it, he basically said he doesn't care what I do as long as I'm not taking undersize fish to eat lol.
You can only keep Gamefish of LEGAL SIZE for any purpose. Recently PAFBC made it legal to use gamefish as bait BUT they must be obtained legally, which of course means legal size and creel limits apply.

FYI, just so you don't get in trouble, re-read the book that they hand out when u buy a fishing license, "2016 Pennsylvania Fishing Summary". It is free and it is MANDATORY that the clerk hands it out w/ the purchase of a license, if not they can be fined for it. I'm always giving that idiots at our local Wal-Mart a hard time about it because they NEVER pass them out and there's a lot of important things people need to know in it and hopefully it will help our already-dwindling fish populations if people have it easily available for reference.

Oh, anyway sorry about the derail OP, i just wanted to make sure my buddy didn't get fined for mis-interpreting the rules.....it's not always easy to understand them as they are written a little confusing sometimes.

Anywho, i was never a huge fan of Greens, i generally target them when i need bait because they are so aggressive and prolific breeders and compete w/ Bass and gamefish for food and territory, usually winning. Rock Bass as well, but they DO look really cool in a tank.

I think i like Pumpkinseeds, also the Redbreast, and i bet a Redear/Shellcracker would make an awesome pet

Last edited:

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Bluespotted sunfish!

Or longear/pumpkinseed if I have to pick a larger species

Pumpkinseed

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2013