Support for DIY 360 Frankenstein, cinder block stand

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Going to try to make this a short story.

I am going to build a 360 gallon tank out of a 180 and a 90, take the 6x2 front panels and the 4x2 front panels as sides and make a 6x4x2. The panels are all 1/2" thick except one of the 6x2 is 5/8". I ordered a piece of glass that is 72"x49" for the bottom panel, so the side panels are sandwiched between the front and back. I will be making some sort of eurobrace, and using SCS1200 silicone.

A friend of mine told me he was recently speaking to someone who built tanks that strongly advised 3/4" for the bottom. Seeing as I already bought the bottom panel, this is too little too late. So question #1, is this a MAJOR issue? Mine being 1/2" of course.

So for a variety of reasons, the stand will be made of cinder blocks stacked 3 high. I will have each corner support with an L shape of 6 cinder blocks total, and then 4 more "columns" I can support wherever. So question #2, what is the ideal way to position these middle columns, basically all 4 supporting the middle or 2 supporting the 6' side at the front and back with 2 in the middle?

Question #3: In light of the thickness of the bottom panel recently coming into question, and the tank not having a frame, what should I be putting under this tank on the cinder blocks and in what order between foam and plywood or either/or/none? Do I solely put foam under the cinder blocks and tank right on the foam? Do I put plywood on top and that's it? Or would you put a combination of both foam and plywood, and if so would it be foam on top of plywood on top of cinder or plywood on top of foam on top of cinder?

Any other suggestions? My difficulty will be finding foam and plywood that is 49" wide, 48" is pretty standard.

Am I missing something else I need to consider before investing in this?

Thank you.

Lepisosteus Lepisosteus millerkid519 millerkid519 CANAMONSTER CANAMONSTER wednesday13 wednesday13

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Your gonna now need a joint on your plywood because of the 49. I think half inch will be fine. Flexes more the 5/8 so you will need to account for that when building stand. I would double up 3/4 ply for this.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Also I would definitely use foam between glass and ply!!!

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Half inch will be fine if it supported correctly. My thought was to put the plywood right on the cinder blocks and foam sandwiched between the tank and plywood. As for the seam in the plywood we might be better off to buy a 5x10 or 5x8

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Going to try to make this a short story.

I am going to build a 360 gallon tank out of a 180 and a 90, take the 6x2 front panels and the 4x2 front panels as sides and make a 6x4x2. The panels are all 1/2" thick except one of the 6x2 is 5/8". I ordered a piece of glass that is 72"x49" for the bottom panel, so the side panels are sandwiched between the front and back. I will be making some sort of eurobrace, and using SCS1200 silicone.

A friend of mine told me he was recently speaking to someone who built tanks that strongly advised 3/4" for the bottom. Seeing as I already bought the bottom panel, this is too little too late. So question #1, is this a MAJOR issue? Mine being 1/2" of course.

So for a variety of reasons, the stand will be made of cinder blocks stacked 3 high. I will have each corner support with an L shape of 6 cinder blocks total, and then 4 more "columns" I can support wherever. So question #2, what is the ideal way to position these middle columns, basically all 4 supporting the middle or 2 supporting the 6' side at the front and back with 2 in the middle?

Question #3: In light of the thickness of the bottom panel recently coming into question, and the tank not having a frame, what should I be putting under this tank on the cinder blocks and in what order between foam and plywood or either/or/none? Do I solely put foam under the cinder blocks and tank right on the foam? Do I put plywood on top and that's it? Or would you put a combination of both foam and plywood, and if so would it be foam on top of plywood on top of cinder or plywood on top of foam on top of cinder?

Any other suggestions? My difficulty will be finding foam and plywood that is 49" wide, 48" is pretty standard.

Am I missing something else I need to consider before investing in this?

Thank you.

Lepisosteus Lepisosteus millerkid519 millerkid519 CANAMONSTER CANAMONSTER wednesday13 wednesday13
Plywood on cinder and foam on top of plywood if you are doing that. I would double up the ply as well.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
You could also add a strip of glass from left to right on the bottom piece. if you were nervous about bottom glass being to thin. It will make bottom more rigid

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
consenus seems to be cinders,plywood,foam...and i have to agree... my 650 is up on cinders and stacked in the same fashion. i did 1 pallet cinders, 2 layers of 1/2" ply, 2 layers of 1/2" foam then the tank. Tank is steel frame with polyproplene tho. Id be a bit worried of cinders and glass although ive seen some pretty sketchy glass stacks using them work just fine. Why not make a 2x4 frame for on top of the cinders to ensure nothin moves and for support. U could put as many braces as u need that way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store