Atf Question

Rghfor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2015
Also may have an opportunity for a 9.5 x3.10 x2.5 ft tank. Would that house a Goliath ?

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I believe the recommendation for a GATF is to have a minimum of 8ft long x 4 ft wide x 3 ft tall. The tank you mention is not wide even though it is is long enough.

Reactions: Rghfor

Red Aimara

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
My humble opinion to TS would be to just get a few of them in juvenile sizes to try out first.

As the fishes grow you can always opt to sell a few away to make space - I mentioned this before, there is always demand for good size GATFs or any other ATFs (provided you don't ask for a prohibitive price) LOL!

I don't think there are hobbyists out there who grew their ATFs from a few inches to over 2 feet in length. It takes a lot of dedication, patience and element of luck - barring unforeseen mishaps.

:)

Reactions: ekkhoo and Rghfor

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
the width is 3.10ft
As said 4' width is recommended for gatf. Big ones may not be common in the u.s but other countries show it's easy to get them big, people here don't keep there fishes long though, and a lot of mishaps happen because of transportation or just putting the fish in inexperienced hands or a simple accident. In the wild they can get atleast 4' but I believe there have been larger recorded sizes 5'+ though I'm not sure. The sticky has answered your questions... Maybe you should read it...

Reactions: Rghfor

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
I've been keeping my Gatf in a 2 feet wide for a year and it's way overdue for an upgrade which I'm building for September. 3.1 is good until they are around 24-28" and then they are dying for another upgrade. If you want a giant gatf, Id recommend no less than 5ft width which is what I am going for on my new tank. Width and foot print is the most important. I think the size you are building is a decent size for vatf and other ATF species for life and if you don't mind gatf growing to their potential, I guess they work too. I have seen many ATF raised in tanks way too small for them and still grow to an impressive size and stay quite idle and feed healthy. Obviously it's not good for their health in a small tank and I'm not advocating for that but ive seen it all too often here in asia. Its also here that you find 4 ft GATFs as well in giant swimming pool sized tanks. So take it with a grain of salt in this hobby, as long as you provide the best care for them and happy.

Rghfor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2015
I've been keeping my Gatf in a 2 feet wide for a year and it's way overdue for an upgrade which I'm building for September. 3.1 is good until they are around 24-28" and then they are dying for another upgrade. If you want a giant gatf, Id recommend no less than 5ft width which is what I am going for on my new tank. Width and foot print is the most important. I think the size you are building is a decent size for vatf and other ATF species for life and if you don't mind gatf growing to their potential, I guess they work too. I have seen many ATF raised in tanks way too small for them and still grow to an impressive size and stay quite idle and feed healthy. Obviously it's not good for their health in a small tank and I'm not advocating for that but ive seen it all too often here in asia. Its also here that you find 4 ft GATFs as well in giant swimming pool sized tanks. So take it with a grain of salt in this hobby, as long as you provide the best care for them and happy.
It's 3ft 10 inches deep

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Gatf can get larger than 4'. They're fast swimmers. What about a tatf?
Has anyone really grown one to that though? I saw comments relating to in Asia but until someone does it here what does it matter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store