The Most EVIL CICHLID on the Planet.....

JoeBoxer

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2012
Canada
I actually did the same with some Convicts and my big Zonatus. Not only didn't he eat the Convict...the fish lived with Blue for almost a year. It was hilarious.

For the record, I have personally been bitten a half dozen times over the years. ALL of them by a managuense...most of them by the fish I called Jumbo. He was the only fish I had to distract on one end of the tank while I put my hand in the other end. One time I was reaching across the open tank to pull the shades and he literally jumped up and out of the water biting the back of my arm...hung for a second then splashed back. Another time I had a TV crew over to look at the collection. The reporter was filming Jumbo's tank. I said, if you open the lid he will come to the surface to see you. She did...and he did jumping up and damn near biting her nose.

Here he is during a water change. He was psychotic.

That's awesome and hilarious. I remember when I was on the forums yeeeears ago Jumbo was only about an inch or two long. Really cool to see him all grown up.

What a bruiser

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
That's awesome and hilarious. I remember when I was on the forums yeeeears ago Jumbo was only about an inch or two long. Really cool to see him all grown up.

What a bruiser
He's long since passed. Lived thirteen years. TO this day if you google "jumbo Cichlid" his is the first image up. That fish was known around the world.

Reactions: dogofwar

JoeBoxer

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2012
Canada
He's long since passed. Lived thirteen years. TO this day if you google "jumbo Cichlid" his is the first image up. That fish was known around the world.
Man, that really shows me how long I've been out of the game for. Crazy.

He was a beaut! I think that's an amazing amount of time to have a fish. Most Labradors don't live that long...

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
Man, that really shows me how long I've been out of the game for. Crazy.

He was a beaut! I think that's an amazing amount of time to have a fish. Most Labradors don't live that long...
Thanks. I agree. He's not the longest living. I had a Citrinellum that lived for 17 years. The all time record...so far...is a Raphael Catfish I have in a 400 gallon tank at 24 years. That very well might be older than some of the people posting in this thread.

JoeBoxer

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2012
Canada
Thanks. I agree. He's not the longest living. I had a Citrinellum that lived for 17 years. The all time record...so far...is a Raphael Catfish I have in a 400 gallon tank at 24 years. That very well might be older than some of the people posting in this thread.
Haha it definitely is. I am older but not by too much. That's super impressive. I don't think I've kept a fish past 5 but going to try my best with my new GT

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
It won't let me insert quote. The community neet tank is really interesting. So I guess you keep them African style. I've seen a pair in a bigger tank with a big amph, but not as a group like that. After I get my downstairs reconstructed I think I might order a group.

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
It won't let me insert quote. The community neet tank is really interesting. So I guess you keep them African style. I've seen a pair in a bigger tank with a big amph, but not as a group like that. After I get my downstairs reconstructed I think I might order a group.

I have two tanks with Neets. Both are pretty much set up in the same way. The other, not photo'd has a lot more silk foliage for cover. When you say Afrcan setup. I'm assuming you meant lots of cover? Aggression on any cichlid is amped up when you don't give it the space or enough cover to get out of the line of fire.

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
Damage done to my big male Istlanum by the Alpha male Neet (Mr Evil)

DSC_0006.JPG

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
My second male Neet with his mate... about half the size of Mr Evil.

DSC_0003.JPG

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Well the cover aspect combined with controlled crowding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store