What is wrong with this fish I just received...!?!?!

Chillz23

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2016
hello all!

Anyone know what is wrong with this fish I've just gotten? Came via overnight...

Also, this is a mayan, isn't it, not a festae?

Cheers! :)

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
What appears to be wrong? Or is it just you need ID?

Reactions: Chillz23

Chillz23

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2016
Sorry, should have said. There's a red lump out of his right gill, his right eye is bulging, there is also a red lump in front of the same eye, also there's a white patch on his side and a lump on his back just under his dorsal, too!

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Could be ammonia poisoning or anothet underlying problem Charney Charney

Chillz23

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2016
Could be ammonia poisoning or anothet underlying problem Charney Charney
Yeah red gills I would assume ammonia burn, but this is a tumour looking thing out of his gill!

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I can't see the pics but just judging from descriptions I would start by keeping water 100% pristine, treat with salt and also if the lesions don't start shrinking within several days I'd get a methylene blue dip bath ready.

maracyn will work if the fish has pop eye but most likely it will go down on its own with the clean water if it isn't a serious infection. Regardless start a salt treatment.

Chillz23

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2016
I can't see the pics but just judging from descriptions I would start by keeping water 100% pristine, treat with salt and also if the lesions don't start shrinking within several days I'd get a methylene blue dip bath ready.

maracyn will work if the fish has pop eye but most likely it will go down on its own with the clean water if it isn't a serious infection. Regardless start a salt treatment.
Thanks mate, but I really don't want to put it in any of my tanks if it's ill. I don't have a dedicated hospital tank. ARGH.

So what would the likely illness be? Popeye?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Thanks mate, but I really don't want to put it in any of my tanks if it's ill. I don't have a dedicated hospital tank. ARGH.

So what would the likely illness be? Popeye?
Well the way I see it you don't have much of a choice.

euthanizing a fish that will more than likely bounce back with minimal treatment should never need to be an option. Get another tank set up if you don't want to put it in an established tank.

Reactions: ShanerBock888
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store