True Parrot cichlid

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
I recently picked up a 3.5" parrot cichlid. He is definitely bossy but real fun to watch. How do you sex these guys? And there color get more vibrant as they grow right bc mine I think is kinda dull maybe bc of black background. Anyways here it is

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Reactions: rajzynger

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Probably a little young to sex out, kind of looks female but really couldn't say with much certainty.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Probably a little young to sex out, kind of looks female but really couldn't say with much certainty.
Do females get same color as male?

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
I had a group of 6, your parrot will color up once he's all settled in. Looks like those are stress colors to me. They become very dark. It could also be the lighting on your tank making the fish become dark. Substrate and lighting has a lot to do with coloration of fish. I feel they're a species that is better kept in groups of their own kind. As for sex it's very hard to tell these fish apart unless they pair up on their own. Both males and females look very similar and fin rounding can't be used here to determine sex as both genders seem to have pointy fins

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
I had a group of 6, your parrot will color up once he's all settled in. Looks like those are stress colors to me. They become very dark. It could also be the lighting on your tank making the fish become dark. Substrate and lighting has a lot to do with coloration of fish. I feel they're a species that is better kept in groups of their own kind. As for sex it's very hard to tell these fish apart unless they pair up on their own. Both males and females look very similar and fin rounding can't be used here to determine sex as both genders seem to have pointy fins
Thanks for the reply, well if it is female I'm happy that it will have same amount of colors as if he was male. My substrate is light with some red gravel and it is the king of the tank didn't think it was stressed but I barely bought it last Sunday so maybe it still needs to fully settle in, definitely hope he is not stressed thanks for reply :)

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
More pics

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

outsider1911

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2016
CANADA
mine was very dull when i bought him almost brown. He now has a lot of color, it's amazing how much fish transform from young to adult with good food and decent water quality

Last edited:

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
Any move for a fish is stressful, you recently got him so once he settles in I'm sure the true colors will show. Nice looking fish good pick up. I miss my parrot colony. If your able to get more I think he'll appreciate the companionship of others. Wish you the best

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Nice pickup, they're incredible and beautiful fish. I got a wild caught from Jeff Rapps a few months ago.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store