Sponge Filter Feedback

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I am currently running 3 AC110s on my 180g along with a hydor 1650 circulation pump. The tank only has 1 8in aimara in it so I have plenty of filtration.

However, I had a power age the other day and am concerned they are frequent in my areas (have not been leaving at this house long). I wanted to two sponge filters for extra filtration but then also connect a battery power supply to it so that in case the power goes out, I at least have the sponge filters running. If I am home, I can always move my media bags from HOB to the tank also.

My thoughts are the following:
Buying 2 of these
https://www.amazon.com/HYDRO-SPONGE...809&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=hydor+sponge+filter

Connecting them to this air pump
https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-26075-...69641906&sr=8-1&keywords=whisper+150+air+pump

Anyone think this is overkill?

Next step is to find a backup supply. Trying to figure out how much I need. That tetra pump only using 3.5watts so I don't need to go crazy.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Never used a sponge filter so I am trying to determine how to size the pump to the filter also :)

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
You're overthinking things. As this will be a backup hook up the sponge filter to this https://www.amazon.com/AQUATOP-Sing...2927&sr=1-4&keywords=battery+back+up+air+pump

So whenever you have a power outage it will automatically kick on using the battery power and you're good to go. As for sponge filters you can get those you listed.
So are you saying I should get this instead of the tetra air pump? I am guessing this isnt really strong enough to run a sponge filter effectively on a 180g.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
So are you saying I should get this instead of the tetra air pump? I am guessing this isnt really strong enough to run a sponge filter effectively on a 180g.
All I'm saying it is something for power outages. You can always use the tetra air pump and get this as well and use both tee'd off so when the tetra turns off this will still be running.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
I've got B11 air pumps on all of my tanks (from 10 gal up to 220 gal). They're hooked up on the same air stone as my Tetra Whisper, with valves in each line.
Whisper goes out, B11 comes on. Power comes back, B11 goes silent, Whisper comes back on.
It's beautifully simple. And yes, its powerful enough if you remember to put new batteries in once a year. Good habit to do that at the same time you replaced batteries in your smoke detectors.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
You're way overly concerned. A single 8" fish in a 180, that's well maintained, will be fine in a power outage for 24hrs easily. I would be more concerned about heat not filtration

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
You're way overly concerned. A single 8" fish in a 180, that's well maintained, will be fine in a power outage for 24hrs easily. I would be more concerned about heat not filtration
A perfect video to show how you can overcome temps. Cold or hot.

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
I've got B11 air pumps on all of my tanks (from 10 gal up to 220 gal). They're hooked up on the same air stone as my Tetra Whisper, with valves in each line.
Whisper goes out, B11 comes on. Power comes back, B11 goes silent, Whisper comes back on.
It's beautifully simple. And yes, its powerful enough if you remember to put new batteries in once a year. Good habit to do that at the same time you replaced batteries in your smoke detectors.
listen to this guy! He knows his stuff and always engineering his setup for efficiency.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I am guessing this isnt really strong enough to run a sponge filter effectively on a 180g.
Hello; The benefits of a sponge filter run by air bubbles are that it becomes a place where the beneficial bacteria (bb) will colonize and that the bubbles provide aeration.

The air pump needs to be strong enough to push the air to the bottom to the aquarium. It is the depth of the tank that dictates the pump needed, not so much the volume of the tank.

For aeration during a power outage all that is really needed is an air stone and an air pump. If the pump is too weak to push air to the bottom of a tank you can raise the air stone up in the water column. I have run weak air pumps this way from time to time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store