Blue Rams (Mikrogeophagus.ramirezi) Log

Pred-Finatic

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2016
Canada
Stopped by my local BAs yesterday to stock up on more food and plants. While browsing, I happened to see a really nice looking ram, so I asked to add him to my order. Brought the lil guy home and acclimated him to my 20 gallon breeder (which is currently housing my female GBR and female EBR). Trying to grow so clippings from my main tank as well (Java fern, and narrow leaf ludwigia)
Immediately after introducing him to my tank, the 3 fish began a flirt feast and the new male paired off with my female GBR. Fast forward to this morning, The pair has cleaned off a piece of black slate, and the male has dug a pit. The female's egg tube in starting to extend, and she's beginning to get plump.
Happened to snap a few quick shots with my phone. I apologize for the poor quality, bad lighting and algae growing on my tank walls (camera couldn't focus). I will get better pics, once I've done some maintenance on the tank and relocate the lone female EBR. Pics really don't do justice for the pair, the colours and finnage on the male are really stunning in person. Love how high the male's dorsal ray extends, can kinda see it in picture #2 & 3.

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Stopped by my local BAs yesterday to stock up on more food and plants. While browsing, I happened to see a really nice looking ram, so I asked to add him to my order. Brought the lil guy home and acclimated him to my 20 gallon breeder (which is currently housing my female GBR and female EBR). Trying to grow so clippings from my main tank as well (Java fern, and narrow leaf ludwigia)
Immediately after introducing him to my tank, the 3 fish began a flirt feast and the new male paired off with my female GBR. Fast forward to this morning, The pair has cleaned off a piece of black slate, and the male has dug a pit. The female's egg tube in starting to extend, and she's beginning to get plump.
Happened to snap a few quick shots with my phone. I apologize for the poor quality, bad lighting and algae growing on my tank walls (camera couldn't focus). I will get better pics, once I've done some maintenance on the tank and relocate the lone female EBR. Pics really don't do justice for the pair, the colours and finnage on the male are really stunning in person. Love how high the male's dorsal ray extends, can kinda see it in picture #2 & 3.

Most definitely in breeding dress, color of male is intensified. :D

Reactions: Pred-Finatic

Pred-Finatic

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2016
Canada
Awesome looking pair! They paired off quickly. It's great how their colors stand out like that.
Thanks, I think so too :)
In store his colours were rather muted, but as soon as he saw my female, his colours exploded. Really looking forward to this pair breeding and hopefully producing some nice broods.

Pred-Finatic

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2016
Canada
Most definitely in breeding dress, color of male is intensified. :D
Yeah, the male has been working on the one pit all day. The female just floats near him and watches lol. Sometimes I see them in the pit side by side fluttering (like they're having full body spasms). No eggs yet though.
Good news is the female is getting plumper, and her egg tube is becoming more pronounced.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

Pred-Finatic

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2016
Canada
Quick update with some awesome news!
The ram pair just started laying eggs on the piece of slate in their tank.
These are some early shots, the pair is still laying and fertilizing. Eggs looking good so far, hope everything goes well (The waiting game begins).

Reactions: jhook

Pred-Finatic

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2016
Canada
Got some bad news guys. Just got home to discover my female eating the eggs. Over half of them are gone, all of them looked viabale too :(
I'll have to wait for another batch, will keep everyone posted.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Got some bad news guys. Just got home to discover my female eating the eggs. Over half of them are gone, all of them looked viabale too :(
I'll have to wait for another batch, will keep everyone posted.

This sometimes happen with first spawns, and female will get better each time from experience :)

Reactions: Pred-Finatic
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store