Imperial Line Festae

Status
Not open for further replies.

oriqua

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2010
Firey PHOENIX
I was half joking about the umbees because, and I quote, "its like a powder keg when people talk about strains and locations when it comes to umbees"

However if you talk to experts (e.g. Don Conkel) they will tell you that the name gorillus lacks meaning. It seems to be some mix of location and color, but these colors can be found in other locations as well. It was just a hot topic a few years ago here. Especially since the guy who brought them in kept referring to them as a subspecies.

But I'm having trouble understanding what you're trying to say. Dog breeds have been selectively bred for years. They are not a natural, wild dog. Imperial festae is just like saying that your fish are pretty (and they are), but it's not enough to warrant a new title. There is nothing different! Names get thrown around a lot but unless something is really different about the lineage then it's not really worth it.

And what have I contributed? That's quite a snarky question for someone who thinks owning a festae is an accomplishment. I have bred numerous species of fish and produced thousands of tons of fish. I am a fish biologist. I dedicated my life to this stuff. Care to compare?

Be my guest? Let's see if mean your the one bashing some one work right? Mumbo jumbo biology I can say? Wouldn't that be insulting? We're your degree? Does that make you an authority?

oriqua

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2010
Firey PHOENIX
Be my guest? Let's see if mean your the one bashing some one work right? Mumbo jumbo biology I can say? Wouldn't that be insulting? We're your degree? Does that make you an authority?

Your the one saying with a snarky remark mumbo jumbo gorillus...that's my friend your talking about I could care less what your degrees are in.....

oriqua

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2010
Firey PHOENIX
These are wild caught pair credits goes to Dan Woodland. The Nola Gt pair was the given name because he didn't give a location point...This is a F0 pair and I see plenty of desirable traits.

94225-c22799f5d781d748a6c2d52e5cb49fcf.jpg

Reactions: cichlidfish

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I think this thread is starting to drift a little.
The title of the thread is imperial line festae,that is the part that's up for debate to me me.
I currently keep and breed some f2 Thorichthys helleri laguna catazaja.

_20160608_215033.JPG

The name of these fish is pretty self explanatory. it tells us the genus,species and where they can be found.
Being f2 fish and in my eyes,attractive with desirable traits,I consider them a nice line to breed.I see no need to find new blood as they are close to wild and will produce healthy replicas of their parents for many generations to come.
My question is,If when I grow on my first batches of fry to move on into the hobby,will I be doing the hobby a favour by changing their true descriptive, self explanatory name to something like,rebel alliance helleri.
Or,would that just make people scratch their heads and say WTF is that all about?

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
Nonsense thread imo

talking down on others to feel on top, name calling out of desperation to retaliate, making up names to mislead new hobbyists and complicating things making the hobby look dumb for personal pride. You suck! And this naming stuff is nothing new either. Before you and your team kept fish it's been done.

Last edited:

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
Stanz those are some nice cichlids, I know they're in the firemouth family and it's nice to see a more exotic variety not often seen in stores. Also like the wild type swordtails to compliment them. Where'd you pick those guys up? Have they bred for you yet? Sorry for the derail but this thread is going all over the place anyway

Last edited:
Reactions: Stanzzzz7

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Good post!

You're trying to keep the Thoricthys authentic to the wild-type, so naming them as you have makes perfect sense (for yourself and for sharing / trading).

Let's say that - in an attempt to create "better" T. helleri - that you started line breeding fish with the tallest bodies, most blue sparkles, etc. from this locality. Maybe from different localities as well. Well, maybe, once you'd done more than mix two nice looking fish, it would make sense to call them some made up name.

As an aside, I'd bet that some people think that F2 fish are somehow inferior to F1 and that F1 fish are inferior to wild fish...that each generation results in fish more inbred and more prone to disease and deformities. That's just not the case. Wild fish or fish that have been indiscriminately line bred can introduce deformities or illness (as well as be counterproductive to creating stable lines of "fancy" fish). It's the individual fish and not the "wildness" and certainly not in linear or predictable ways.

I think this thread is starting to drift a little.
The title of the thread is imperial line festae,that is the part that's up for debate to me me.
I currently keep and breed some f2 Thorichthys helleri laguna catazaja.

View attachment 1195644

The name of these fish is pretty self explanatory. it tells us the genus,species and where they can be found.
Being f2 fish and in my eyes,attractive with desirable traits,I consider them a nice line to breed.I see no need to find new blood as they are close to wild and will produce healthy replicas of their parents for many generations to come.
My question is,If when I grow on my first batches of fry to move on into the hobby,will I be doing the hobby a favour by changing their true descriptive, self explanatory name to something like,rebel alliance helleri.
Or,would that just make people scratch their heads and say WTF is that all about?

Reactions: Stanzzzz7
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store