Sponge Filter Feedback

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
You're way overly concerned. A single 8" fish in a 180, that's well maintained, will be fine in a power outage for 24hrs easily.
Yes, but the problem is when the power comes back on and the rotten filter contents get pumped into the tank...

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
I've got B11 air pumps on all of my tanks (from 10 gal up to 220 gal). They're hooked up on the same air stone as my Tetra Whisper, with valves in each line.
View under my 75 gal
image.jpeg

Reactions: JK47

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Yes, but the problem is when the power comes back on and the rotten filter contents get pumped into the tank...
The bb will survive 24 hrs easily.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
The bb will survive 24 hrs easily.
In his AC110s, yes.
For the benefit of folks with different filtration: we've had members report that a canister turned foul and toxic in two hours' time without power.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
In his AC110s, yes.
For the benefit of folks with different filtration: we've had members report that a canister turned foul and toxic in two hours' time without power.
2 hours?

Sorry, but I just find that hard to believe. I've accidentally left canisters off for an entire day without issues.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
2 hours?

Sorry, but I just find that hard to believe. I've accidentally left canisters off for an entire day without issues.
It's a function of time, and of the bioload inside the canister. If you cleaned yours recently, then they will last longer in an anaerobic state.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
It's a function of time, and of the bioload inside the canister. If you cleaned yours recently, then they will last longer in an anaerobic state.
Having a little bit of a background in microbiology, I still don't see how lacking oxygen for a mere 2 hours would create such a rapid decomposition as to produce odor and toxicity. For this scenario to occur, the system would have to be on the brink of crashing already and the temp would have to be well above 100F.

As I already stated in my first post, there shouldn't be issue from lack of oxygen for quite some time, if the tank water is well or even adequately maintained

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I still don't see how lacking oxygen for a mere 2 hours would create such a rapid decomposition as to produce odor and toxicity. For this scenario to occur, the system would have to be on the brink of crashing already and the temp would have to be well above 100F.
hello; Unfortunately this can be the case. I have seen many tanks run in such a condition. Severe overstocking plus regular overfeeding is not unusual. I believe there can be a bit too much faith in having a lot of power filtration going. During a power outage decay products from the excess uneaten food build quickly.

In the past, having run tanks this way, I was subject to a tank going sour in short order. Maybe not two hours, but soon.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Thanks for all the feedback folks. I still need to figure out what I will do, but considering how long I can go without power because of HOB and stocking levels, I have cheaper options available than I expected.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
hello; Unfortunately this can be the case. I have seen many tanks run in such a condition. Severe overstocking plus regular overfeeding is not unusual. I believe there can be a bit too much faith in having a lot of power filtration going. During a power outage decay products from the excess uneaten food build quickly.

In the past, having run tanks this way, I was subject to a tank going sour in short order. Maybe not two hours, but soon.
So, getting back to the OP's situation, with a single 8" fish in a 180, I think we can agree that overstocking is not at all an issue.....and regular, brief power outages shouldn't really be much of a concern.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store