Geophagus sp. Tapajos "red head" True Latin Name?

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Just wanted to know if anyone had some insight on the full latin name (im assuming the genus is geophagus but what is the species?) for Geophagus sp. Tapajos "red head". This geo is fairly common in the hobby now-a-days and I can't imagine it hasn't been described by the scientific community yet?

Thanks and much appreciated!

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Haven't seen any news of it being officially described yet, doesn't make me the authority on it. However, when you read primary science sources regarding that type of research, as opposed to hobby centric sources, the science is driven more by questions regarding ecological and biological relationships, biogeographical origins and ancestral relationships of different groups, timing of divergence events, mechanisms of adaptive radiation, genetic relationships, that sort of thing.

Popularity of a fish in the hobby doesn't prioritize the science, other than making certain species convenient specimens for behavior study.

Reactions: Woefulrelic

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Haven't seen any news of it being officially described yet, doesn't make me the authority on it. However, when you read primary science sources regarding that type of research, as opposed to hobby centric sources, the science is driven more by questions regarding ecological and biological relationships, biogeographical origins and ancestral relationships of different groups, timing of divergence events, mechanisms of adaptive radiation, genetic relationships, that sort of thing.

Popularity of a fish in the hobby doesn't prioritize the science, other than making certain species convenient specimens for behavior study.
Thanks for the input I see what your saying, guess in just surprised that just about every other geo species in the hobby is described except this one. Just seems out of place

NHKG

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2015
Ostrava, Czech Republic
A lot of in aquarium trade common fish are not described. For example: Geophagus sp. 'Pindaré', Crenicichla sp. belly crawler, some "L number" plecos, ....

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Not necessarily as popular as red heads but there are also a number of Geophagus sp. aff., including several sp. aff. altifrons. (Species aff., or affinis, generally meaning appearing similar or related to a known species, but believed to be a different species). Some you see as 'sp. x' with a location in the hobby are technically a sp. aff.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
They are still known officially as Geophagus sp. "Tapajos Orange Head" as far as I know, have not seen a formal species write up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store