Sump for 180g 6foot tank

Reilly Perovich

Feeder Fish
Jul 28, 2016
Hi guys i dont know much about plumbing but want to design and build a sump for my 180g 6 foot tank, can someone point me to a guide or help explain the basics to me

Thanks

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
image.jpeg

Here is a picture of the 55 gal sump I'm going to use for my 220.

It's pretty simple, you just need some sort of overflow on the tank, whether it be a hang on back typ or drilling the tank. Then you set up filtration in the sump with mechanical filtration, bio media and heaters, etc. Then you have a return pump to pump the water back up to the main tank. Baffles are optional and a lot of people run open sumps without them. You will have to make sure that you size the overflow properly for the size of pump you're using, and that you get a pump large enough to flow enough water, AFTER head loss is considered.

It sounds like a lot, but it's really not. I'm sure you will be glad you went with a sump after you get it running.

HEMP111

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2015
Greenville SC area
I'm running a 40 gallon acrylic under my 180 and I would never go back to anything else.
+1 on sizing your overflow, always error on the side of caution and go bigger than you think you'll need, it will only flow down what you pump up to it.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Here is a guide that I pretty much always recommend. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/300-gallon-sa-ce-community-build-thread.423425/

Search google for "Herbie style overflow" so you'll have a better understanding of why he ran the plumbing the way he did under his tank. You can look at my build thread, but it's not as good as the one I posted.

Search for threads by a user named "Egon". A couple years back, he did several different types of sumps, closed loop setups, tied 2 sumps together, etc. I learned a lot from those.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store