Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
in the picture the red i see are teeth

Sorry for the loss. Is there any bullying going on? the do not handle that well
As far for fading TB always has to be on the list. Have they been dewormed? if so with what?

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015

As far for fading TB always has to be on the list. Have they been dewormed? if so with what?
The teeth have been a mystery to me because you never see them on the healthy fish. I'm glad I figured it out.
To be honest, I've heard of fish de-worming but I've never done it before. I've never really understood the difference between de-worming, and treating for parasites. Roughly the same? With the formalin and malachite green treatment these guys went through, in my mind they should be OK. Would you mind explaining de-worming a bit for me? What makes you ask about it?

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
The teeth have been a mystery to me because you never see them on the healthy fish. I'm glad I figured it out.
To be honest, I've heard of fish de-worming but I've never done it before. I've never really understood the difference between de-worming, and treating for parasites. Roughly the same? With the formalin and malachite green treatment these guys went through, in my mind they should be OK. Would you mind explaining de-worming a bit for me? What makes you ask about it?

This is a great question and one more people should be asking. When we discuss parasites it can be any of many many types. Lets start with the idea of internal for external parasites. External parasites you are familiar with such as ich. They are found well externally and this means on the skin, fins, and gills. Where internal parasites are found in the intestinal tracks.

Parasites come in lots of forms. Many intestinal parasites are worms, which come from many different families such as round worms vs tapeworms. Fish can also get protozoa and coccidian internal parasitism as well. The same goes for external parasite in that they can be flukes, protozoa and even crustaian (think anchor worm). That being said this is just a smattering of parasites out there but there are much much more. Each of these organism have different body systems, metabolism and very different organisms therefore different anti parasitic have different affects. So when treating for ich we are treating for protoza and depending on the medication may get some flukes but it won’t have any affect on crustaceans or internal parasites because it is not meant to work on their body systems. So when we are discussing deworming we want medications that target GI worms. Praziquental is a good drug that targets the GI track and will also get some flukes. So if you had treated for flukes with prazi you would also cover for worms. That being said it covers most worms but not all. Sometimes you need something like levamisole to cover the rest. Hope this was somewhat helpful.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
That was excessively helpful. Out of curiosity, would you recommend that I treat for worms even now? I have lost two so far to an un-diagnosed disease, so I guess it can't hurt?
My initial feeling is to shy away from meds in this tank because of how soft and acidic the water is. I don't know how the meds would affect the water conditions. If prazi is safe to use and I might get a benefit from using it, I'll start it asap. Also, the wife had another pic of the most recent death. About an hour before he passed. What does this? Charney Charney Woefulrelic Woefulrelic thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter

I really would like to nail this down if I can. Any help would be appreciated.

20160726_131455.jpg

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015

As far as bullying, I would say that there was no more than normal. The big pair defended their side of the tank, but never went out of their way to beat on the small one. He wasn't out competed for food as there was ample food during feeding that the little one simply ignored. Also, there are plenty of hiding spaces in that tank. I didn't see anything to suggest real aggression.

Brandi91082

Feeder Fish
Jul 29, 2016
Idaho
Hi! I'm new to the forum and your post prompted me to join. It fills me with both hope and fear lol. I had uaru As years ago and ever since have been looking for the pandas with very little luck until last week, when I had two Juvie wild caught pandas shipped to my house. They of course have come down with a very mild (so far) case of ich. None of the other fish are showing any signs. What was the treatment that worked for you the best? Here are my babies...thanks so much for this post! There is not much info out there on these guys.

20160722_231707.jpg

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
Hello, and welcome to MFK. When mine had ich what worked was quick-ich and temp at 90 degrees. What is your tank setup like? If you can, I would start bumping temp.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
My thoughts would be that no happy healthy fish stops eating when food is available. With this in mind my first concern would be bullying, bullying to the point where it gave up eating but this would come with many transparent ripped fins, missing scales in my experience. If we rule that out we could question water conditions, but likely the others would show some sort of similar features. If the rest are eating voraciously, and otherwise active I would probably rule it out but you guys are the only ones who can monitor the water. Internal parasites can be nasty critters, frequently found in wild fish, and a potentially real problem even this long after the import imo. I find prazi to be effective and not very intrusive, I've used it pretty liberally with rays and had no noticeable issues. Aside from IP we could consider something like hexamita taking hold especially with the weird way it's arching itself. If you saw any stringy white poo it would make it the most likely scenario, and New Life Spectrum makes a pretty nifty food god hex shield that could help. Aside from these scenarios there are many more I'm sure, that I'm just not well informed on. Disease and treatment are not things I'm terribly informed on unfortunately, but these are the things that come to mind so I figured I'd share.

Reactions: Beetlebug515

Brandi91082

Feeder Fish
Jul 29, 2016
Idaho
Hello, and welcome to MFK. When mine had ich what worked was quick-ich and temp at 90 degrees. What is your tank setup like? If you can, I would start bumping temp.
They are in a 55 gallon grow out tank with 2 small L# plecos and a baby red tiger severum. Tank is fully cycled and established. Amm 0, nitrites 0, nitrates around 20. Ph is 7.2. Which i know is a little high for them. Driftwood and lots of fake plants. I have temp at 84 but am slowly raising it. I.may have to get a new heater, this old one may be giving up. With the iCh meds I always worry about them killing my good bacteria, quick ich doesn't do that?

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
They are in a 55 gallon grow out tank with 2 small L# plecos and a baby red tiger severum. Tank is fully cycled and established. Amm 0, nitrites 0, nitrates around 20. Ph is 7.2. Which i know is a little high for them. Driftwood and lots of fake plants. I have temp at 84 but am slowly raising it. I.may have to get a new heater, this old one may be giving up. With the iCh meds I always worry about them killing my good bacteria, quick ich doesn't do that?
It does not. However, quick ich contains formalin and formalin is a nasty chemical. It can be lethal to fish in high concentrations and it chemically removes oxygen from the water. Don't take my recommendation lightly, you are going to have to provide more than ample surface agitation if you use it. Especially if you raise Temps at the same time, which you should.

If I may make 3 recommendations about your setup:
1 I would ditch the fake plants. Once the pandas settle in and get healthy again, they will start to chew on them.
2 get your nitrates down. For most fish keepers, 20 ppm is alright, but not for these guys. My nitrates stay at 5 or lower, and if I slack on water changes my pandas get dull looking and are less active. The slightest changes in water affect them.
3 at this point, don't concern yourself with ph. 7.2 is entirely reasonable right now. I would look into water hardness. For now, I would grab a gh and kh test kit and see what your tap reads. Have you read through the whole thread? I recommend you do when you get some downtime if you haven't already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store