old live rock to start cycle?

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
That's normal during the cycling process, all tanks go through some form of algae bloom in the first couple months. If you are mixing your own salt I'd highly recommend an ro unit or purchasing ro water. I'm not sure what you used when filling the tank. If you used tap water it contains a lot of phosphates which will help feed the algae. Did you add a clean up crew to your tank already?

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
Peppermint shrimp are known to eat aptasia and meaty foods really not so much algae grazers, your best bet would be to add hermits or snails. I know a lot of people keep both together but I feel as though the hermits end up eating the snails. I think the best clean up crew consists only of snails. Also asternia starfish do a great job at eating algae. Some people believe they will also be responsible for eating corals but apparently there's a very low percentage chance they will. I've had a bunch in my reef for years with no problems. Model citizens and hand out all day on my back wall eating the algae off it.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
I'm a bit late, but when "live rock" has been allowed to sit dry it is considered dry "base rock". It does not have the bacteria you need to cycle, but it will become live in your tank once you have bacteria.

Live sand and live rock do not usually make for an instant cycle. They merely accelerate the process but inoculating the tank with a starter culture, which then grows rapidly. Otherwise you would have to wait for these things to enter your tank through the air or possibly dormant forms. Your dead rock probably had some organics in it that will help start the cycle by adding ammonia to the water. This is a good thing.

However you should keep up with testing your nitrogen cycle. Your bacteria population is only as large as your feeding will allow. If you aren't feeding the tank ammonia (by feeding the fish etc...) then you have a bacteria population suited to your existing ammonia input. However, as you add biomass your bacteria will need to catch up, growing in number to meet the needs of your ammonia levels (which may be undetectable by most tests). Just add fish slowly to make sure you aren't asking too much from too few bacteria!

Also, I want to mention that ammonia is more of an issue with salt than fresh. Nitrite is often the other way around. I can go into more depth on this subject if you need.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store