Polleni with haps and peacock?

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Could it work? Most of the haps and peacocks are between 3"-8", mostly predatory haps which still have some growing to do. The tanks a 6' 125. Pet supermarket has a tank full of 2.5" polleni.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Most of the Paratilapia I have kept have only been hard on others of the same species, and ignored most other species.
Although other blue colored, or blue spangled species, may be seen as competition at some point.
There are Paratilapia in the video of the 6 ft tank below, with some Paretroplus, and a few Central Americans.
With the lack of light its hard to tell colors, but none of the other tank mates have any blue to speak of.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Blue in an African cichlid tank? That's unheard of! :) I'm assuming it would come down to if the polleni thinks the blue fish are competition or not. I was more worried about the fish just being aggressive overall. This is the first time I've seen them locally so I'd hate to pass them up.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I know what you mean about blue

and I wouldn't pass them up either given the chance, Paratilapia are some my favorites.
There was a display tank at a store in Milwaukee contains rift lake African cichlids, and a few small Paratilapia, which seemed to work well, and looked fantastic.
Just remember Paratilapia get quite large, over 12" is not unheard of, and will eat anything that fits in that cavernous mouth.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Thanks for the help Duanes. I plan to go grab one this evening or tomorrow. His tank mates will be nimbochromis, buccochromis, dimidiochromis, and rhampsochromis, so I'm too worried about size. The polleni may be bulkier than the haps when fully grown. Kinda wish I had an empty large tank to get a few to grow out.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
I finally got around to getting to the petstore, ended up getting 2. Acclimating them now. Duanes, do you know when the spots start being really noticeable?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Depending on the species, 3".
But with some, like the "small spot" polleni, they are only really prevalent during spawning, or if they the dominant individual in the tank.
Andapa are almost constant.
Below an "Andapa" at 3"

one month later at 4"

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Thanks for the help Duanes. I plan to go grab one this evening or tomorrow. His tank mates will be nimbochromis, buccochromis, dimidiochromis, and rhampsochromis, so I'm too worried about size. The polleni may be bulkier than the haps when fully grown. Kinda wish I had an empty large tank to get a few to grow out.
just to add, most of the Haps and Mbuna are WAY too fast for larger cichlids to give a hard time....I have kept them w/ Midas, Red Devils, FHs, Buttekofferi, and some other big guys and I never saw any of the Africans get a scratch on them, just make sure they have plenty of hide-spots and caves

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store