Atf Question

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Has anyone really grown one to that though? I saw comments relating to in Asia but until someone does it here what does it matter.
Well when I give advise I speak in terms of the fishes lifetime because when I buy a fish I make sure what I have can hold it for its lifetime, if the op doesn't have the intentions of keeping the fish through its life then by all means go for it. But he didn't state that, so I will give him advise based on the fishes potential. Same way I did for you, you plan on keeping your aimara for life, I told you what I feel is ok for life, you asked about 8x3 I believe, in which case I'd say yes you can keep it for a number of years, but for life no, it will need more width. And we can't say no one has grown the fish here, cause there are plenty of people who might not even know of the forum, or don't have an account just come up here to read and not report. I stalked this website for years before making an account. The specimens in Asia that have been grown to that size show that it is very possible, so I give info based on the potential of a fish is all

Reactions: Red Aimara

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Well when I give advise I speak in terms of the fishes lifetime because when I buy a fish I make sure what I have can hold it for its lifetime, if the op doesn't have the intentions of keeping the fish through its life then by all means go for it. But he didn't state that, so I will give him advise based on the fishes potential. Same way I did for you, you plan on keeping your aimara for life, I told you what I feel is ok for life, you asked about 8x3 I believe, in which case I'd say yes you can keep it for a number of years, but for life no, it will need more width. And we can't say no one has grown the fish here, cause there are plenty of people who might not even know of the forum, or don't have an account just come up here to read and not report. I stalked this website for years before making an account. The specimens in Asia that have been grown to that size show that it is very possible, so I give info based on the potential of a fish is all
Moe I really appreciated your feedback and I was not intending pushing your buttons.

Love those pics of the 1m gatf. I wonder how long that took. When does gatf stop being skittish? 18in?

Reactions: Rghfor and moe214

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
My gatf which is around 18" right now is not skittish at all, doesn't even flinch much when I put my hand/arm in the tank for maintenance. It really depends on each individual again, my VATF which is only a little bit smaller sometimes can act up but for the most part is also chilled out. When I had a trio group of 10-11" Gatfs together, I found two of them to be very stable and confident while one to be extremely skittish. These 1m gatfs are super beastly. If you saw them in person, jaws would be dropping.

Reactions: Rghfor

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I bet. I'd love one, but just don't have the space. I know I can do a 3ft wide tank and I might be able to push a 4ft wide tank, but 5ft will probably never happen unless I win the lottery.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Moe I really appreciated your feedback and I was not intending pushing your buttons.

Love those pics of the 1m gatf. I wonder how long that took. When does gatf stop being skittish? 18in?
You didn't push my buttons I just go into detail a lot lol. I learned early on this forum to ignore any problematic people, you aren't one from what I can tell. And as green said it depends on the specimen.

That looks like the elusive Black GAFT up there.

Anymore pics Greenerinks?
Chicx did a little study or experiment and determined those fish have just lived in black water with dark surroundings there whole life so overtime turn black, so you can mimic this and eventually the atf will get darker and darker

Reactions: Rghfor
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store