Juvenile Festae starting to color up

RampageRR

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
MD/VA/WV
www.youtube.com
I wonder if those tinfoil barbs are outcompeting him for food? Aren't they known for being fairly aggressive in respect to feeding?

I doubt any of the other tankmates are bothering him enough to slow down growth any, but if you notice the TFBs crushing food enough to get him to back off during feeding, you might want to consider rehoming them (if your goal is to have the festae grow quicker, that is).

My group of 4 males had gone from 1" to a range sizes within a year - largest was probably 9", smallest around 4". The smallest was absolutely being crowded out at feeding time, which is why I'm suggesting it at all. I could be completely off base :)

twhittle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
Clarkston, Wa
I wonder if those tinfoil barbs are outcompeting him for food? Aren't they known for being fairly aggressive in respect to feeding?

I doubt any of the other tankmates are bothering him enough to slow down growth any, but if you notice the TFBs crushing food enough to get him to back off during feeding, you might want to consider rehoming them (if your goal is to have the festae grow quicker, that is).

My group of 4 males had gone from 1" to a range sizes within a year - largest was probably 9", smallest around 4". The smallest was absolutely being crowded out at feeding time, which is why I'm suggesting it at all. I could be completely off base :)
I wonder the same thing. I may remove them.

Fluidsuit

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2016
Seattle
www.youtube.com

Well I can definitely attest to the voracity of TFBs. I just took delivery of some 2-3"ers and yeah apart from an Oscar of the same size not sure I've seen many more active eaters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store