Today in the Fishroom - 3/10/12 Everything!

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
You have attained your Signature line.

There are just no other words...

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
I was curious, Aquamojo which fish do you still currently own, and which ones are housed together if any?
thanks
Strato
That's more of a discussion than a list. I have about 4000 gallons of water in my home and at my farm. Most of my fish are kept in species specific tanks. Some of the larger tanks and vats have either a variety of grow outs or one or two species of larger juvenile fish. Adult fish are almost always kept in their own tank. Currently I have managuense, three variety of labridens, zonatus, coatzacoalcos, hogaboomorum, panamensis, micropthalmus, motaguense, HRPs, convict, two forms of fredrichsthali, wesseli, robertsoni, nourisati, ufermanni, rio salto, beani, about 100 Metynsis in various flavors, couple dozen pleco, and probably a hand full that I am forgetting....couple different convicts.

I keep my fish and move then in and out of my home tanks. Two rules of thumb. You're either breeding or posing for the camera.Otherwise there's tank space that another fish can occupy. LOL.

Thanks fort the props folks.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
........Two rules of thumb. You're either breeding or posing for the camera.Otherwise there's tank space that another fish can occupy. LOL.
That's funny MO.

Fluidsuit

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2016
Seattle
www.youtube.com
That's more of a discussion than a list. I have about 4000 gallons of water in my home and at my farm. Most of my fish are kept in species specific tanks. Some of the larger tanks and vats have either a variety of grow outs or one or two species of larger juvenile fish. Adult fish are almost always kept in their own tank. Currently I have managuense, three variety of labridens, zonatus, coatzacoalcos, hogaboomorum, panamensis, micropthalmus, motaguense, HRPs, convict, two forms of fredrichsthali, wesseli, robertsoni, nourisati, ufermanni, rio salto, beani, about 100 Metynsis in various flavors, couple dozen pleco, and probably a hand full that I am forgetting....couple different convicts.

I keep my fish and move then in and out of my home tanks. Two rules of thumb. You're either breeding or posing for the camera.Otherwise there's tank space that another fish can occupy. LOL.

Thanks fort the props folks.
Hey Mojo, I can probably hazard some pretty good guesses as to why you keep adults exclusively in their own tanks but would love to hear your rationalization of it. Also further to some of the earlier questions on this thread, wondering from your experience which adult cichlid species have tended to work best together in a community tank and the reasons for the same.

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
Hey Mojo, I can probably hazard some pretty good guesses as to why you keep adults exclusively in their own tanks but would love to hear your rationalization of it. Also further to some of the earlier questions on this thread, wondering from your experience which adult cichlid species have tended to work best together in a community tank and the reasons for the same.

Wow...this is a blast from the past. A lot of it is just personal preference. I keep the because I like cichlids. I also enjoy growing them out while minimizing them getting busted up. Better for photos. As to which would do well in a community type situation...my opinion is its always a crap shoot. Generally fish that grow out together from very small up do better. I had the pond up that broke ALL of the rules. It was a real mix of large cichlids, pacific, catfish and gourami. I think if you are going that route try to grow them out together and stick with fish that come out of the same or similar locale (i.e., no Oscars with Midas and African cichlids.). Hope that answers your question.

Fluidsuit

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2016
Seattle
www.youtube.com
Wow...this is a blast from the past. A lot of it is just personal preference. I keep the because I like cichlids. I also enjoy growing them out while minimizing them getting busted up. Better for photos. As to which would do well in a community type situation...my opinion is its always a crap shoot. Generally fish that grow out together from very small up do better. I had the pond up that broke ALL of the rules. It was a real mix of large cichlids, pacific, catfish and gourami. I think if you are going that route try to grow them out together and stick with fish that come out of the same or similar locale (i.e., no Oscars with Midas and African cichlids.). Hope that answers your question.
It does thanks. I've heard the grow them all out together for best potential compatibility. I've also seen first hand what happens when you raise a large cichlid to maturity and attempt to introduce tank mates later....I almost wonder if there's also something to simply having grown out around a number of other cichlids. What I mean is that if you had a fish that grew out around other fish, does that make it somewhat more receptive to other larger cichlids later in life. I'm sure there's no magic answer, but thanks for taking the time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store