Alligator Snapping Turtle

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
I must say that I would be worryed about that heating part, because that could led to a situation in wich the air temp could be lower then the water temp, that is your turts are in warmish water but they are breathing freezing air, wich could lead to a deadly respiratory infection. I think that you should do a few alterations to your very cool project. First your going to dig their pond as deep as you can (not to make the water going really deep, but the pond itself) that would make it much more naturaly resilient to temperature changes. Also I francly think that you should find some way to shelter your pond, and a great idea would be to build a green house over it, it has to be nothing fancy, it just has to avoid the formation of a deep ice cover. Ali snapper are tough but lets not overdue it. If everything goes well they would be hibernating with no probs. If ice forms just break it here and there. By the way I hope your pond is very large in order to house more then one snapper.

Jeox

" I got monkeys in me! "
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
Wouldnt an ally snapper pond be really boring? Seems like they'd never move and you'd never see them.
That said, I'd still do it. Snappers are awesome.

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
I keep AST's and it depends on where you live. They will hibernate during winter. But if they were tank raised prior to pond life it's not advised. There's limited research but some Believe they'll be fine as far north as illinois but I would still not advise with that Temp.

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
sounds great im going to start it as soon as possible

im still going through the legal stuff but i know ppl :D that always helps

its more or less a reptile rescue so this way i have a permit to keep them (their illegal to keep in NY)

thanks for your help ill end up posting pics when i start the project :headbang2
I saw this after my first post. But no you should definitely not keep them outdoors in NY they will die.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store