Funky tank!

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Won't 50% changes every other day hurt my Bio colonies?
hello; The colonies of beneficial bacteria (bb) are mainly on the hard surfaces of the tank. More generally on surfaces exposed to water flow in some manner. Filter parts and media are considered prime places but many other surfaces will have some. Little bb are considered to be freein the water itself.

Over feeding and feeding frozen fish like lance fish will also stink up the place. Fast the tank for a day or two and see if the smell improves
Hello; I tended to overfeed for a couple of decades and a funky smelling tank did happen. Except for fry and very young fish or perhaps a goal of growing fish to be the biggest the fastest, fish can do well with regular fasting days. I slowly moved to fasting days each week in the last couple of decades with good results.

One other thing I do is to siphon into the substrate (gravel in my tanks) during water changes. This helps to remove detritus (bits of uneaten food, fish poop, and other stuff) from the tank.

A note to consider. If you have not been doing regular water changes, it may be a bit much to start at 50% the first couple of times. Perhaps try 20% every day or two for a few days and then move to larger volumns if things are going well.

Good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store