Any shark fishermen here?

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
I've brought a 9ft bull in off the shore on a Shimano TLD 25. It's not always about having the biggest reel. And you sure don't have to jump right on a 12/0. Hell I've caught a ****load of 4-5ft sharks on my Baitrunner 6500. So just keep that in mind while you look at those monster reels lol. However I haven't seen a single REEL mentioned that I'd disagree with.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I've brought a 9ft bull in off the shore on a Shimano TLD 25. It's not always about having the biggest reel. And you sure don't have to jump right on a 12/0. Hell I've caught a ****load of 4-5ft sharks on my Baitrunner 6500. So just keep that in mind while you look at those monster reels lol. However I haven't seen a single REEL mentioned that I'd disagree with.
damn, 9ft???? How long was that fight?? Was this on a boat or from shore or what?

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
It was roughly an hour, it was from the Shore in Venice FL Off the peir. Kyaked the bait out and let it float on a balloon. The average size reel used out there is a 6/0. However that was when I was younger. I've moved on to fishing from a tiny dingy now adays..

Reactions: Frank Castle

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Just a little update, I think I am going to try and head to Wrightsville beach for some blacktips or bull reds tomorrow. We shall see, we shall see.

My plan is to buy some new setups soon. First up will be a Daiwa Emcast surf spinning rod (12 foot medium heavy, rated for 15 to 30 pound line and 3 to 6 ounces of weight), paired with an Okuma RTX 65 spinning reel. This will be used in the surf to catch everything from bait to bluefish, spanish mackerel, and redfish. The reel will be spooled with 300 yards of 30 pound braid with 150 yards of 20 pound mono on top.
Either at the same time or shortly after that, I will purchase a new shark fishing setup. This will be an Ugly Stik spinning rod (10 foot medium heavy, for 12 to 30 pound line and 1 to 6 ounces of weight) paired with an Okuma Azores 80. This will be used for sharks, bull reds, and rays in the surf as well as bigger stuff from the surf. How big of a shark do you think this could handle? On a good day, I would imagine around 250 pounds, right? Maybe a bit larger? It will be filled with 300 yards of 60 pound braid with 20 yards of 50 pound mono on top.

After this, I don't know if I will be buying a big shark setup or a new inshore setup (the one I've got right now is a bit weak, 7 foot medium action - could make a nice bait rod). If I buy the inshore setup it will be a Shimano Teramar rod (7 foot medium heavy) paired with a Spinfisher 5500 (filled with 400 yards of 20 pound braid with 25 yards of 20 pound fluorocarbon on top). If I buy the shark setup, I'm still not sure which it will be. I don't know if I want to step all the way up to a really big shark setup or just go with something a little bit smaller - likely to be something a little bit smaller. In that case, I will buy a Penn Rampage conventional jigging rod (6'2" and rated for 50 to 100 pound line), attach a Shimano TLD-50, and fill it with 725 yards of 100 pound braid and 200 yards of 100 pound mono on top. This could probably handle something a bit bigger than 500 pounds, so I should be set for a while before I plunge into a 14/0 (once I get spooled by something massive, I'll consider that 14/0).

At that point, I should have pretty much everything I need for NC. I will have a medium spinning setup (good for trout, puppy drum, and bait), a medium heavy spinning setup (good for bigger inshore fish through medium tarpon), two conventional setups for sharks and bigger fish (although not huge sharks), a surf setup, a pier/shark spinning setup, and a bigger conventional setup for decent-sized sharks. And at the very end, maybe even a setup to bring in Jaws ;)

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
So tell us how you went water skiing behind a shark.
Do you seriously have nothing better to do than to scout out my threads and try to start arguments? Time to put the "ignore" feature to good use.

For anyone reading, I'm taking the ferry out to Bald Head tomorrow, will be going for a week. I'll be sure to take pics

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Not as much time as you apparently. I only ever reply on this site when its slow and I'm bored at work. You.. you reply to your own ridiculous threads with many different ridiculous personas, as if we can't tell. You paint quite a picture of what type of person you must be when you spend your time replying to yourself in an online threads like it justifies your existence. Not to mention being a pathelogical liar.

So, how's your book coming along? Your 6 ponds? THe house you're buiding or the 2 you're buying? Not to mention the millions of gallons of tanks... that you're always DEFINITELY! going to do.

You are one sad SOS. You're good for one thing though.. for us to laugh at. I don't think you can ignore me. These fictional personas you make, which by the way I know you have at least 3 going right now, seem to be your only life validation. I highly recommend a frontal labotomy.

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
I agree 100% with this. i shark fish off the jersey shore very regularly over the spring and summer. While I def bring my bigger rods and reels. 90% of the time we are fishing lighter tackle. 2x penn 20s, couple small conventionals (fluke gear) and than a few bigger spinning rods. Fished the 20s out far in the slick and the spinners right next to the boat. Nothing better than fighting a 6ft+ shark on light tackle

Last edited:

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
11620.jpeg 11610.jpeg
Two days of fishing, all I have to show for it so far. 10" or so sharpnose. First shark though, that's exciting! But the guy next to me got a 4' blacktip on 15 pound mono and a medium spinning rod...he walked 1/4 mile down the beach over 30 minutes. Caught this little guy on a 8/0 circle somehow :D

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Just ordered a used 9/0 off of eBay, will send pics. Going on another week long trip, to Myrtle Beach this time. Also ordered a 505 Jigmaster, it was $27 on eBay

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store