Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Here's a note from the Saltwater Puffer Primer:

[Editorial note: Several species of Arothron occur in fresh or brackish water in the wild, usually when very young. Such fish sometimes end up in the freshwater fish trade, most commonly Arothron hispidus. While they often look a bit off-color when kept in completely freshwater conditions, they are astonishingly hardy, and once acclimated to strongly brackish or fully marine conditions they quickly pep up. As with any euryhaline fish, it doesn’t take long to adjust them from freshwater to brackish or saltwater conditions; an hour spent using the drip method should do the trick nicely.]

Reactions: Empyreal

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
If you saw any 20 inchers still in full freshwater, that would be impressive. I've seen young kept in freshwater but, never had the opportunity of seeing a full adult surviving in FW.

Reactions: Fat Homer

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Thanks for the helpful comment insert Oddball Oddball I will look into any large adult specimens in full FW. The ones I've seen in person are already in impressive coloring but haven't seen any larger than about 10-12" long. They are selling 5" and 8" specimens currently. Let me ask my supplier if he can get any photos of them in mature adult sizes in FW from other customers. This has been quite intriguing to me as they simply look wonderful.

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Not that I'm too lazy to set up a saltwater tank to house one anyhow if the occassion came up. The aquaria market here is far and vast. Multiple species of sea turtles are sold all the time and I've seen them kept with arowanas and stingrays in full FW for multiple years now. I don't support that in any way tho as the ones I've seen in private aquaria just don't seem too happy.. I can see it in their eyes and it breaks my heart.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
That explains everything if the supplier is from China... They will tell you almost anything to sell their wares...

In HK is quite common to see 5"-8" Stars and Stripes sold as freshwater during summer months... But never ever have i seen an adult specimen for sale in F/W...

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Lol supplier is indeed in china, thanks for the confirmation Fat Homer Fat Homer I haven't seen any larger than the foot mark in person either. If there is, I'll post it when I find it. It's super common to find sea turtles in full FW setups.

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I know that there are a lot of fish research facilities in Asia, but yeah, honestly dont think anyone has managed to convert a S/W puffer to live out its full natural life in fresh...

Although would be great if it could be done... Coz i can think of a few i would love to own...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store