Filter media for two ac110

adr_93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2013
coral springs, florida
What is the best filter media combo for two filters on one tank? Im just running it how it came out the box and it does a great job but can i maximize its potential by mixing it up? Thanks in advance

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
What is the best filter media combo for two filters on one tank? Im just running it how it came out the box and it does a great job but can i maximize its potential by mixing it up? Thanks in advance

Thats what I like most about aquaclear filter is how you can add more bio, or mechanical in them. I personally don't use the carbon that comes with it, just save for med removal. That will give more room. There was a thread someone posted not to long ago. Type in aquaclear media in search bar and see what comes up from other members. :)

Reactions: adr_93

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
I use one or two sponges in all my AClears and throw a little Biomax on top. Been doing that for 15 years. No carbon.

Reactions: tlindsey

Def Leppard Hysteria

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Omaha, NE
No carbon here either. I do place a thin layer of filter batting in between the sponge and Matrix filled bags for fine polishing (and keeping the extra biological media free from debris).

Reactions: tlindsey

Snarkaustic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
Portugal
I used to run a couple of AC300 (I think it's the AC70 now?) on a 120g. I only used the sponges and when those fell apart I used foam blocks cut to size from large pond filter foam mats. Cheap, effective and easy to service and/or replace.

I only used the ACs mainly for mechanical filtration, but sponge/foam works as bio media just as well (although it tends to clog faster than other media).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store