Water Parameters for Goonch

Marcus_H

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Germany
Hello,

i don't know if this hasn't already come up, but maybe there is new info or better info available now.

I read quite a bit about the fact, that Goonch seem to be a little bit more delicate compared to most other big predator catfish, to the extent that even sudden deaths can occur.

No it seems very likely, that the temperature, especially in case of the quite common (around here) HLG plays a big role in this and of course the level of Oxygen within the water.

But what about the rest? In Many cases the PH-level is also very important, many amazonian fish, even the monsters prefer a level around 6-7. Now while many amazon predators seem to be capable of getting used to higher ph-levels - maybe Bagarius can not?

(and we do not really know how much better even sturdy amazon fish would feel if kept in lower ph-levels, since i highly doubt that millions of years of evolution to a low ph level can be changed within a lifetime or 1-2 gnerations this weell)

Or maybe it is the other way around, so that bagarius like ph-levels around 7.5-8.0 and most tank owner use to low ph levels because it so common.

And then there is of course the amount of nitrate, but i guess in most cases those have been quite low, since bagarius tanks tend to be very clean, with a lot of current and frequent water changes.

Greetings

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
from what i here, and have seen they are a lot hardier than we give them credit for. I think the main factor as you have said is temperature that effects oxygen levels very similar to the way sturgeon go belly up in warm weather in shallow ponds.

from reading about there wild locations there is probably a bit of flux in their PH like amazonian fish due to the different water levels and seasonal changes so i dont think its as important.

Marcus_H

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Germany
Ok but what do we know about the ph-levels. A but of fluctuation is pretty normal, but 7.2-8.0 is very different thing compared to 5.8-6.8 ...

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
My LLG and Rutilus currently reside in PH 8.2-8.3, very hard water with a temp of 75 degrees. Both are eating well.

Marcus_H

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Germany
Wow that's really high! Interesting! Well there are ofc species (many around here in europe) who actually like harder water with high ph-levels. Maybe some fish died because the owners where used to amazonian fish and tried to keep the ph levels way to low?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store