Water hardness realities compared to what people say..

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Exactly what "experts" state that clown loaches must be kept in soft water?

None, that I am aware of. True experts on the subject, that is, not internet bloggers. In fact most clown loaches are only typically found in true blackwater conditions, when spawning. The rainy season tends to cause highs & lows in water conditions, including pH, TDS, etc, which is probably why clown loaches are more adaptable than some species that spend the majority of their life in blackwater conditions. I have seen clown loaches in the 14" range, raised in med-hard water - 15+ yrs of age. For that species, other than temperature (and even that can vary more than most internet experts feel), most water parameters are a non issue.

Ditto to discus, one of the most experienced discus breeders that I have ever known raised tanks & tanks of discus in our local hard water. No disease, no issues - unless he was breeding, and attempting to have the eggs hatch - only then is softer water required. Again, most experienced discus people know this to be fact. No need to google youtube. The extra minerals found in most hard water is actually better for growth in juvenile discus, than soft water.

On the flip side, there are indeed certain species of fish that do better in softer water, where various pathogens do not survive the way that they do in hard water. This has been the experience of many long term & very experienced fishkeepers - myself included. As an example, the parasite that is the cause of most cases of HITH in this hobby, is Spironucleus vortens, a parasite not found in soft acidic water, where certain fish live and thrive. To many species a non issue, to other species HITH or worse is almost a sure guarantee if proper conditions are ignored by the fish keeper.

In a general way, you are correct - but in this hobby there are very few absolutes, and the learning curve never ends. Stick around, sounds like you have lots to learn.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I'm pretty sure you're either an idiot or just plain stupid.

But anyhow congratulations on being an idiot.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Wait a minute. Everybody take a breath. We have a proven method on dealing with trolls. I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier.

I-Dream-of-Jeannie2-217x300.jpg

Thank you Jeannie!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store