The Woefully Underappreciated Sponge Filter

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
And typically the removal of the chlorine using prime is almost instant. If you are super worried about it, might dose a bit extra before filling up. I think I'd be more worried about getting the water temp closer to the tanks temp than I would be about the chlorine taking out BB. But from what I understand, the change over isn't long enough for anything to be killed off.

fmcgregor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2016
Tilbury, Ontario, Canada
Since I have switched to a sponge filter my tank has been NOTICEABLY dirtier. Particles floating around, periods of cloud from debris on bottom. I have a Jack Dempsey and he LOVES to kick up the bottom. I run a sponge filter and a lava rock bio media filter I made. The sponge filter cant keep up with the Dempsey's dirty eating habits. Going to change to something else.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Since I have switched to a sponge filter my tank has been NOTICEABLY dirtier. Particles floating around, periods of cloud from debris on bottom. I have a Jack Dempsey and he LOVES to kick up the bottom. I run a sponge filter and a lava rock bio media filter I made. The sponge filter cant keep up with the Dempsey's dirty eating habits. Going to change to something else.
hello; The sponge filter does not remove particles from the water. For mechanical filtration some filter type with removable/replaceable media works to some degree. Even with those filters it is usually necessary to siphon out detritus, which can be done during a water change.

The JD is a messy eater.

fmcgregor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2016
Tilbury, Ontario, Canada
hello; The sponge filter does not remove particles from the water. For mechanical filtration some filter type with removable/replaceable media works to some degree. Even with those filters it is usually necessary to siphon out detritus, which can be done during a water change.
I do weekly 10% water changes, and truthfully you are the first person to state that it doesn't remove debris. After the sponge filter being recommended by so many, I looked it up on YouTube,. and everybody claimed it was a mechanical, as well as a minor biological filter. If it is not a mechanical filter, (removes debris) what exactly is it supposed to do then? Because it is quite obvious that it would serve poorly as a biological filter. Or am I misunderstanding? And yes...JD's are MESSY eaters. Down right slobs, swimming around spitting food al over...lol.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I do weekly 10% water changes, and truthfully you are the first person to state that it doesn't remove debris. After the sponge filter being recommended by so many, I looked it up on YouTube,. and everybody claimed it was a mechanical, as well as a minor biological filter. If it is not a mechanical filter, (removes debris) what exactly is it supposed to do then? Because it is quite obvious that it would serve poorly as a biological filter. Or am I misunderstanding? And yes...JD's are MESSY eaters. Down right slobs, swimming around spitting food al over...lol.
They have some mechanical filtering capabilities but they do definitely provide biological filtration. Although I rarely use them as a stand alone filter aside from fry and inverts

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
They serve mainly as biological filtration and these thousands of pores holf beneficial bacteria you can't see it and don't think it's working but it does.

I have fry and they're always around the sponge filters constantly eating off of it throughout the day

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
They serve mainly as biological filtration and these thousands of pores holf beneficial bacteria you can't see it and don't think it's working but it does.

I have fry and they're always around the sponge filters constantly eating off of it throughout the day

Hello; I also have observed fry feeding on the surface of a sponge filter. A common pleco did as well.

Over time a sponge filter will become loaded with very fine material. I take one out and squeeze it several time in a container and have a lot of this material come out. I suppose this can be considered mechanical to some degree.

At any rate a tank can be run with only sponge filters and sipon cleaning during water changes.

fmcgregor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2016
Tilbury, Ontario, Canada
At any rate a tank can be run with only sponge filters and sipon cleaning during water changes.
This statement I can vouch for being false, especially with a JD. It most definitely cannot keep up between water changes.Ido weekly syphoning, and halfway through the week its a mess. I don't overfeed my JD (not sure if that's possible...lol) I feed him what he can eat within 5 minutes. But EVERY bite is only half eaten, and the rest is naturally spread around the tank in hopes to lure little fish and things in to be eaten. Each meal is also a preparation for the next, and so on and so on. AS any owner of different SA/CA cichlids is willing to admit, they are infamous for being slobs, but well worth the need for extra filtration.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
This statement I can vouch for being false, especially with a JD. It most definitely cannot keep up between water changes.Ido weekly syphoning, and halfway through the week its a mess. I don't overfeed my JD (not sure if that's possible...lol) I feed him what he can eat within 5 minutes. But EVERY bite is only half eaten, and the rest is naturally spread around the tank in hopes to lure little fish and things in to be eaten. Each meal is also a preparation for the next, and so on and so on. AS any owner of different SA/CA cichlids is willing to admit, they are infamous for being slobs, but well worth the need for extra filtration.
Hello; I apologize for being able to run several tanks this way off and on for many years. I guess I just did not know it cannot be done. For around a decade all i had were sponge filters, UGF's and bubbler operated HOB's and in tank filters with carbon and floss. I wonder if the tanks I ran with no filtration at all (Walstad method) was also not possible?My sarcasm aside, mere words cannot express my true feeings about your statement and may you acquire exactly what you deserve.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Hello; I apologize for being able to run several tanks this way off and on for many years. I guess I just did not know it cannot be done. For around a decade all i had were sponge filters, UGF's and bubbler operated HOB's and in tank filters with carbon and floss. I wonder if the tanks I ran with no filtration at all (Walstad method) was also not possible?My sarcasm aside, mere words cannot express my true feeings about your statement and may you acquire exactly what you deserve.
I agree with you and his statement staying you're wrong is completely false. Sponge filters been on the hobby for the longest time. I know people who have a fish room with only sponge filters that's including a 150-300 gallon tanks. Yes they're on a drip system but only the big tanks.

Someone who is willing to say sponge filters cannot work on its own is completely wrong. Sorry not bashing on everyone

Depends what kind is sponge filter you have not every sponge filter is the same. Size does matter with sponge filters.

I run multiple tanks with sponge filters and no other filtration. It must not work since I breed fish constantly and I breed Flowerhorn and Midas which are one of the bigger waste producers.

I do weekly water changes and that's it maybe 30-50 percent. Sometimes I go two weeks with light feeding me to switch it up so it can stimulate breeding habits.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store