Observations on tank mates with ps

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
I successfully kept five pirayas with breeding colonies of Endlers and cherry shrimp. It worked once the pirayas were over one foot in length. There were also crabs and spotted Raphaels in the tank. Best setup I ever had.
I'm sure the occasional Endler found its way into a stomach, but they reproduced well enough that I never noticed.

It can be done.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Anything in the tank with piranha is game. Depending on the size of the tank and the aggressive of the piranha will drive how successful.

To me the problem of piranhas versus other predators is their teeth. Once they decide to pick on a fish to show dominance they can inflict a major wound which turns that fish into prey for the rest of the piranha. Same goes for when people keep a group of pygos. They start with a large group because they cannabilize each other.

I have seen a lot more success when the piranha are large and the tank mates are small fish not worth chasing.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Thanks for the comments, I have seen several tanks with 1 black piranha and schools of tetras, any other comments?

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
I've kept my rhom with a school of exodons for awhile now, I think I may have lost a couple exos along the way but nothing I can really notice. Exodons were more aggressive in so many ways with a school of them.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Piranhas shouldnt have any tankmates period.....they will kill them eventually.

By this thread i can honestly tell u know nothing about these fish
I had 1 pacu with 5 piranhas before all grew up from a nickel size to like 6". The pacu looked acted and ate like the piranhas. Other than a Pacu I wouldn't put anything in there.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Ive kept piranhas with exodons and small fish as well.....but with the cost of a couple getting picked off.....thats not considered a successful cohab neither is a pacu to 6 inches

You will have the best luck with neons when rhoms are big 18 inches or so bc they usually wont consider them food since they are so little.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I think glo lite tetras would be better with rhoms as they r hardier, either that or celestial danios

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Glo kites are similar to neons except they tolerate a broader range of waterconditions , they r mostly ignored by most larger piranhas, due to small size and the fact they aren't easy to catch

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store