Advice for a shark or ray newbie

LadAShark

Exodon
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
That would be also good for port jackson/other large benthic sharks that grow up to five feet. The most active shark you could healthily fit in that would be a juvenile white tip reef shark, which might be interesting. That tank could fit almost 10 catsharks, let alone one or two.

pseudechisbutleri

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
That would be also good for port jackson/other large benthic sharks that grow up to five feet. The most active shark you could healthily fit in that would be a white tip reef shark, which might be interesting. That tank could fit 10s of catsharks, let alone one or two.
If that's the case, what would be the minimum diameter of the pond be for one shark?

LadAShark

Exodon
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
If that's the case, what would be the minimum diameter of the pond be for one shark?
Depends on the shark. For catsharks, a foot longer than the shark itself would be able to fit it, but you'd ideally want the tank to be 50% longer than the shark in diameter.

pseudechisbutleri

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Okay, I've planned out everything I understand (still gotta look into filtration), so here it is. All good?

Australian Marbled catshark care plan

Australian Marbled catshark

Atelomycterus macleayi

Aquarium: TBA, 250+ gallon glass tank, aquaculture tank, stock tank or frame pool

Substrate: Fine sand

Tank environment: Live rock in centre.

Feeding: Varied seafood from supermarket, every three days

Water parameters: 23.9-29 degrees Celsius, 27-34 ppt, 7.9-8.4 pH

Ppoeschl

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Panama City Beach
That would be also good for port jackson/other large benthic sharks that grow up to five feet. The most active shark you could healthily fit in that would be a white tip reef shark, which might be interesting. That tank could fit 10s of catsharks, let alone one or two.
lol you must be joking

LadAShark

Exodon
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
lol you must be joking
I am ;P

The truth is that tank could at most fit a 3.5 foot shark. A juvenile white tip could survive there, but it would be cramped for an adult.

As for catsharks, I was exaggerating, but yes, that tank is big enough to fit up to 10 small catsharks.

LadAShark

Exodon
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Haha I feel stupid now
No need to feel stupid, everybody starts somewhere.

Atelomycterus macleayi would do fine in a 250 gallon tank as long as you make sure it is around 5-6 feet long and 3-4 feet wide. Though some say it can do well in something as small as 4 feet long by 2 foot wide, I feel the shark could and should have more room.

White tipped reef sharks need at least a 2500 gallon tank, but I have an obsession with them so I'm quick to say it would be cool to have one even as a juvie when people mention a ~1000+ gallon setup.

pseudechisbutleri

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
No need to feel stupid, everybody starts somewhere.

Atelomycterus macleayi would do fine in a 250 gallon tank as long as you make sure it is around 5-6 feet long and 3-4 feet wide. Though some say it can do well in something as small as 4 feet long by 2 foot wide, I feel the shark could and should have more room.

White tipped reef sharks need at least a 2500 gallon tank, but I have an obsession with them so I'm quick to say it would be cool to have one even as a juvie when people mention a ~1000+ gallon setup.
Sounds good,

Thanks

Reactions: LadAShark
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store