oddball ideas

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
hello I recently got a 29 gallon bio cube from a friend and I kinda skipped the small fish stage and went to big monsters

now I have this nice small tank but I have no idea what I want. all I know is I want a MONSTER.

fresh or salt is fine with me but it needs to be the most aggressive fish possible for that size tank.all suggestions would be helpful( except no betta fish, nothing agents them they're just not my cup a tea)

If anything I can learn about few new species

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Maybe a red belly piranha.. that tank is to small for anything really
A RED BELLY IS A TERRIBLE IDEA. What are the dimensions of it. There are some small snakehead species that could fit the bill but.... US laws.

Why are you looking only into aggression? If you want cool looking look at pantadon bulchozi.

Tiger barbs might also be a cool semi-aggressive idea

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
The dimensions aren't really good for fish I'd suggest, if you could get a 40b or 30b which is only shorter in height, it'd be good for one ery. ery.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Tiger barbs are absolutly not a monster fish .I guess I assumed this guy was in the US
Tiger barbs have attitude and are cool in a shoal thats all.

An ery ery should have a 4ft tank really IMO

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Tiger barbs have attitude and are cool in a shoal thats all.

An ery ery should have a 4ft tank really IMO
Well I wouldn't recommend a 55 for a 9" fish, a 75 is big for a single ery, but to each his own, I stated what I feel the minimum is though, wouldn't go smaller than that. 3'x1.5' is good for a fish which stays under a foot and gets lazy as it gets larger. But it will likely become territorial in this tank which is what he wants, it's small, manageable and predatory, and has potential to be territorially aggressive.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Well I wouldn't recommend a 55 for a 9" fish, a 75 is big for a single ery, but to each his own, I stated what I feel the minimum is though, wouldn't go smaller than that. 3'x1.5' is good for a fish which stays under a foot and gets lazy as it gets larger. But it will likely become territorial in this tank which is what he wants, it's small, manageable and predatory, and has potential to be territorially aggressive.
I have read that with good cover and dim lighting and decor, they are a bit more active than most wolffish. You have a point though.

A cube isnt the best in terms of dimensions though. Maybe dwarf cichlids would be a good idea? Like apisto cichlids?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I have read that with good cover and dim lighting and decor, they are a bit more active than most wolffish. You have a point though.

A cube isnt the best in terms of dimensions though. Maybe dwarf cichlids would be a good idea? Like apisto cichlids?
They are more active than most hoplias species. And don't think he'll get that wow factor he may be looking for from a cichlid. What about a chaca chaca catfish they don't get more than 8" maybe smaller, can't remember exactly and are definitely lazy.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
They are more active than most hoplias species. And don't think he'll get that wow factor he may be looking for from a cichlid. What about a chaca chaca catfish they don't get more than 8" maybe smaller, can't remember exactly and are definitely lazy.
That could work. They do have an appetite and an ugly mug to match. But i would keep it in a 3ft.

reptilerancher reptilerancher cube tanks are not suibtable for most fish that fit a long tank of the same size. Why not get another long tank and keep smaller fish in the cube tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store