Meet Kittiee's Cats

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Pen is coming together. It started raining on him the other day and he's only just got time off of work so he's done a bit more to it.

It's taken two "rows" of aviary wire to cover the sides, he's attaching the second row as I type.

I might have a go at building some platforms for them myself while he's at work through the week, I've never made anything before so it could be a disaster, but I guess only time will tell.

Anyways, pics:
He's using plastic coated wire to hold the aviary wire on the frame, so here's a close up of that.
IMG_20160824_142751.jpg

Progress on the covering so far, and Bonga up at the window watching his dad.
IMG_20160824_174613.jpg

And Fey looking rather eagerly out the window at the pen (okay, so she was watching the birds but it sounds better to say she's looking at the pen) and being adorable with her neck stretched out.
IMG_20160822_145947.jpg

I'm so excited for them to be able to feel the grass again, but now I'm wondering how the hell I'm going to stop them from getting fleas once they're outside.. We was buying expensive flea drops when we had our old place but they cost a fortune so if anyone has a cheaper way of preventing fleas I'd love to hear it...

I've heard that pine bark is supposed to do something to prevent fleas, can anyone explain how or confirm that it works?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Pen is coming together. It started raining on him the other day and he's only just got time off of work so he's done a bit more to it.

It's taken two "rows" of aviary wire to cover the sides, he's attaching the second row as I type.

I might have a go at building some platforms for them myself while he's at work through the week, I've never made anything before so it could be a disaster, but I guess only time will tell.

Anyways, pics:
He's using plastic coated wire to hold the aviary wire on the frame, so here's a close up of that.
View attachment 1200739

Progress on the covering so far, and Bonga up at the window watching his dad.
View attachment 1200740

And Fey looking rather eagerly out the window at the pen (okay, so she was watching the birds but it sounds better to say she's looking at the pen) and being adorable with her neck stretched out.
View attachment 1200743

I'm so excited for them to be able to feel the grass again, but now I'm wondering how the hell I'm going to stop them from getting fleas once they're outside.. We was buying expensive flea drops when we had our old place but they cost a fortune so if anyone has a cheaper way of preventing fleas I'd love to hear it...

I've heard that pine bark is supposed to do something to prevent fleas, can anyone explain how or confirm that it works?
I believe it is something they release that wards off the bugs? Well it looks good. Can the hubby work with wood? Cat platforms might take a bit of work

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I believe it is something they release that wards off the bugs? Well it looks good. Can the hubby work with wood? Cat platforms might take a bit of work
Yeah he can work with wood but if we're waiting for him to do it the poor cats will be waiting forever to go into the pen, so I figured I'd give it a try, if it works it works if not then I guess they'll have to wait..

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Maybe make some plans and get him to show you the ropes. Always glue, screw and varnish the wood to make sure it is outdoor safe. Maybe also dig the base of the platforms and supports into the ground. My dad has shown me a few things about DIY but doesnt have time to do it with me

Best of luck :)

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Maybe make some plans and get him to show you the ropes. Always glue, screw and varnish the wood to make sure it is outdoor safe. Maybe also dig the base of the platforms and supports into the ground. My dad has shown me a few things about DIY but doesnt have time to do it with me

Best of luck :)
Thanks! I plan to dig the base of the platforms into the ground regardless of who builds them, to make sure they don't fall over. :)

Reactions: Hendre

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
My gf and I want to build a outdoor pin for our cats too. A friend of mine turned his back patio into a pin for his cats and it's awesome.
Here's a couple pictures of mine.
He's called by many swear words by me.
image.jpeg
She's my cutie pie.
image.jpeg

In case you feel like reading more I'll tell you how we came across them.
My gf was taking out the trash at her store and next to the dumsper was a small box that had a scratching sound coming from it. This was in June. June and July are our hot months. 100+ degrees. Well turns out these two bastards were in the box. We think someone tried to throw them away but the dumpster has a lock on it.
Next day, took them to the vet. Turned out they were only a couple days old. They still had their umbilical cords. I don't remember if their eyes were even open yet.
We were supposed to give them to my mom... Three years later, here we are with them haha.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
My gf and I want to build a outdoor pin for our cats too. A friend of mine turned his back patio into a pin for his cats and it's awesome.
View attachment 1203044
She's my cutie pie.
View attachment 1203045

My gf was taking out the trash at her store and next to the dumsper was a small box that had a scratching sound coming from it. This was in June. June and July are our hot months. 100+ degrees. Well turns out these two bastards were in the box. We think someone tried to throw them away but the dumpster has a lock on it.
Next day, took them to the vet. Turned out they were only a couple days old. They still had their umbilical cords. I don't remember if their eyes were even open yet.
We were supposed to give them to my mom... Three years later, here we are with them haha.
They're adorable! Its shameful the way people literally throw animals away... :(
My boys get many swear words as nicknames, they're both little turds. Fey (girl) on the other hand is so well behaved, she doesn't get into the fridge or cupboards (unless the boys open them) she's never on the bench or table unless she's going to the window above the sink, and she doesn't carry on as much when it takes more than three seconds to get the food in the bowls. :D

While I'm here, more was done to the pen today. My hubby has two weeks off of work so hopefully it should be done before he goes back to work..

He ran out of plastic wire just under half way around when he was connecting the two sheets of aviary wire, so he undone it, cracked a na-na and used zip ties instead because they're easy to remove when he can be bothered getting more plastic wire... Which will probably be never because we're terribly good at procrastinating things, I'm surprised how quickly the pen is coming together actually! ;)

He also got the shade mesh put on the top today, and moved it up against the window ready to connect it. Although I don't have pictures of it up against the house yet.

Here is what it looks lke now, only sitting underneath the window:
IMG_20160905_124754_454.JPG

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
View attachment 1203044
She's my cutie pie.
View attachment 1203045

Lol they are cute. At somepoint i am going to try and talk my parents into getting am exotic shorthair, my sister has claimed the yorkie puppy (lily) and my dad is most likely not getting a ridgeback anymore and my brother is pretty much claiming the next dog so i would like a nice relaxed pet (and they are cheaper and wont tear the garden up)

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Gosh I love my hubby! He's the most Aussie guy I've ever met, he won't take no for an answer and if he doesn't have what he needs, he makes it!
This is his "shovel" he made (we lent ours to his parents some months ago and haven't gotten it back yet) out of an old license plate and a what I think may have been a garden stake to dig the pen base into the ground:
IMG_20160906_121030_657.JPG
A true Aussie bloke... Until there's a spider. :p

This morning he dug the base into the ground, put four little pavers outside the pen door to stop it from dragging on the grass and is currently working on building the "tunnel" to attach the pen to the window. I'll post more photos later after he attaches it to the window, then all that will be left to do is make platforms for the cats to play on. :D

Although I have a question for Frank Castle Frank Castle (or anyone who knows stuff about snakes): how well can snakes (on average) climb 2x4s? I don't think I've ever seen a tiger snake climb anything but I'm worried that snakes will try to get to the water bowl when the pen is set up.
If I put it on a platform, what are the chances of a tiger snake, lowland copperhead or whip snake (white lipped I think they're called - don't hold me to that though, we just call them whip snakes) climbing up onto a platform made of 2x4s and trying to get my cats water? Tigers and whips are the most common here, I've only ever seen one or two copperheads in my life (I nearly stepped on one as a kid!) But tiger snakes are everywhere in summer and I don't want my kitties being bitten or eaten. Can they climb? I know vipers, boas and other snakes can climb, but what about my natives? :)

Last edited:

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Snakes can climb. Small snakes will climb up the wire and large snakes i am not sure.

Frank Castle Frank Castle where are you

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store