Feeding time in 600L Oscar tank

Murrayb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
Videos of feeding time in my 600L Oscar tank, tank dimensions are 1500mm(width) x 800mm(height) x 500mm(depth). More details of the overall tank system including DIY filter can be found here:

http://imgur.com/a/xa9Dh

The main diet of the adult fish is frozen peas and prawns along with supplemental Tetra Cichlid sticks.
The total list of tank inhabitants is: 2 x Oscars, 7 x Silver Dollars, 2 x SAEs, 1 x Common Pleco, 1 x Red Tailed shark, 2 x Convicts and many convict fry.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
That pleco is a beauty! How big is everyone in there? :)

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Double post.

Murrayb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
The Oscars are approx 8 inches each with the Pleco around 10. My main problem at the moment is the huge number of convict fry that are not yet getting eaten by the oscars. The convict fry are still being partially protected by the parents but roam all over the tank so I think soon they will start to become Oscar snacks.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
no offence meant, your oscars are showing signs stunting, the under bite is quite pronounced. I am thinking your tank is to small for the stock you have. how old are these Oscars if you do not mind me asking.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
typically you want to see them longer and no under bite or humped backed, here are my tiget pair, smaller little under a year here and older about year and a half, 10" and 12"

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
and ya, thats a F1 male jag with them, egg raised from my wild caught pair, sun cat, and common pleco.

Murrayb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
No offence taken, thanks for the advice. However the under bite you can see on one of the Oscars in the video is due to a previous injury to the jaw when the Oscar was much younger. It has always struggled slightly with this and its laboured swallowing can been seen in the videos above. I do not think the second Oscar is showing much signs of an under bite. Both Oscars are approx 15 months old and I may have underestimated their size in a previous reply, they are probably closer to 9 inches. I feel the tank should be large enough, the total water volume is closer to 200G when I include the filters and sump system with the main tank itself 160G. For two Oscars this size I think it should be sufficient but thank you for the advice.

Your own Oscars look great, do you mind me asking what size tank setup that is?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Thank you. its a 180g, lip injury would most certainly cause that,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store