Wild caught native fish

Texas321

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Do you guys that have tanks for just wild caught fish do water changes as regular as you normally would? I would think fish that are caught in a lake,pond, river or creek and put in a tank might not tolerate regular water changes as well as other fish. Am I wrong? How do you guys do it.

Mikefallen13

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2016
I do bi-weekly 50% waterchanges on my native tanks using my dechlorinated tap water, exactly the same as on my tropical community tank. Most of my fish are captive bred, but I'm currently keeping a group of hook and line caught northern longear sunfish that are thriving after 1.5 months of being in a tank.

I've seen sunfish, bass and gar living in small, stagnant drainage ditches and ponds that I would have never thought could actually support fish. The pond where I caught my sunfish was a small, scummy pool of water on my friends property, so in reality my water is probably much cleaner than where they were captured. Unless you're going to be keeping fish like trout or something similarly sensitive, you can probably do WC's as you'd do on any normal tank.

Reactions: Texas321

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
I tend to do water changes just the same as I would with tropical fish. I actually find it easier with natives. Since their temp tends to be lower I don't have to worry about water temp changes as much from my tap water.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I follow the same w/c protocols for my wild natives as I do for my tropicals.......at least 50% every 3 days.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I do between 35-50% every week on both of my wild caught native tanks.

Gray Wolf

Banned
Dec 6, 2016
Although you might assume that captive native fishes wouldn't need as many water changes, the opposite actually applies. Wild fishes are most often in lakes etc. that are huge in volume compared to your home aquarium, and Mother Nature does the water changes on her own tanks :)

Numbnuts

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2016
I do 50% once a week. I have 3 peacock bass and 3 LMB in a 150. Temp is 82 and they're all messy eaters

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store